Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

YSU Game Report
The Flash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State

The Good:

1. They won!

2. The new stands and party platforms look great.

3. They are selling beer at Dix again.

4. The crowd was about 20,100. The place looked filled, but not full.

5. YSU is not a very good team.

6. They have no passing game. Their QB can't throw and their WRs can't catch.

7. KSU forced turnovers at the right times for once. That was the difference in the game.

The Bad/Ugly:

1. KSU is a baaaaaad football team.

2. The defense is atrocious. Were it not for the fact that YSU had no passing game, they would have routed the Flashes. UCF, Marshall, Miami and BG will roll up big yards and points. YSU's offensive line pushed the D line around all night. They must have averaged 3-4 yd per carry.

3. I am not sure what the offensive game plan was, but it stunk. One series they were ultraconservative. The next they ran a no huddle 4 receiver set. I think that they didn't know what to do.

4. David Alston sat the first half. I don' know why?

5. The crowd was a least half YSU fans. KSU will not see 15K again this season.

6. Despite the score, I thought it was a boring, poorly played game. The Flashes were lucky to win.

Please critique at will...
09-14-2003 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jar3232 Offline
Water Engineer

Quote:3. They are selling beer at Dix again.

This might be a reallllly stupid question, BUT, I thought it was against NCAA rules to sell beer inside the stadium by the school, I assume that
09-14-2003 08:57 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Reports said Alston has a bruised shoulder.

How can our offense be so anemeic?
I like the Freshman running back who put up 140+ yds.

Sounds like a dull game, except for the finish.

So we go into our turtle shell for next week in Happy Valley?

Two weeks--UCF: we have to get our offense into a higher gear and the defense has to be able to put pressure on Schnieder or it will be a very long afternoon.

On the birght side: all we have to do is avg. 14,000 a gmae now for the rest of the season. 03-wink
09-14-2003 08:59 AM
Advertisement

FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Flash- Sounds like you needed a beer. Can't respond to your critique because I didn't see the game. I do have a few questions, though:

1. How was Cribb's passing? He didn't have a great night stats wise; but was he off or the receivers? Were the INT's deflections or bad passes?

2. How did Brooks look? As axeme said, he had good rushing numbers.

I don't have to ask how the D was. Let's just hope we can outscore a few teams.

Too bad we are not better going into Happy Valley. PSU is not that good and is prime for an upset. Wish we could pull it out, but from your description Mills would have to be in a coma instead of just off.

jar 3232 - I have no idea about the answers to your beer questions. Seems kinda funny though...won't let students sit behind the visitors bench but will sell beer to the fans there. Could provide some unwelcome entertainment under the right (wrong?) circumstances.
09-14-2003 02:26 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

It was an extremely dull game except for the finish.

Cribb's passing was poor when they attempted. I am trying to recall, but I don't think that he had a lot of time. One of the pics was a tip, but it was a bad choice to throw. The other was a poor throw. Cribbs looked bad yesterday. On one play deep in YSU territory, he had a QB keeper on 3rd down. Was stuffed at the line short by about a yard on 3rd and 2 and pitched it backward to Alston who was tackled for like a 6 yard loss. If he eats it, the are like 4th and inches.

In his defense, the O coordinator didn't do him any favors.

Elijah Brooks is a small bruising type back. Unlike Alston who is sleeker and more athletic. I like Brooks. He performed very well.

One thing you won't see in the box score was the fact that with 1 minute left, Pees went conservative and settled for the fieldgoal. Once they were inside the 20, they ran it playing for the FG. Not sure about the logic of that, but I am starting to doubt that Pees will turn things around here. He seems to be playing not to lose a lot and it may cost him in the end. It may be time for him to go...
09-14-2003 03:11 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies

The Flash,
I pretty much agree with your assessment. We have an average group of 1-AA players. Pees still has not recruited 1-A players. After 5 years, I expect more. One consolation, we are 2-1. The problem is, we could lose the rest of the games. We might win 2 more. Hope I am wrong.
09-14-2003 07:39 PM
IKE Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

GFlash68 Wrote:The Flash,
I pretty much agree with your assessment. We have an average group of 1-AA players. Pees still has not recruited 1-A players. After 5 years, I expect more. One consolation, we are 2-1. The problem is, we could lose the rest of the games. We might win 2 more. Hope I am wrong.
Glad the flashes won...Thier is an outside chance the Flashes can keep it close...if they play the same D scheme they played against Pitt that might work...keep 8 in the box and risk Mills having a bad day and take a chance the db's won't get burnt...It depends if the QB is hot or cold...I thought the talent was getting a little bit better at Kent, I would like to see the upperclassmen do better...they have experience...

P.S. whatever happened to Raphael Smith, he was a kid from the 'Burgh that played with some of our PITT kids and many thought he was better than the PITT kids...
09-15-2003 01:50 PM
Advertisement

FunkmasterFlash Offline
1st String

[quote="jar3232"]
Quote:3. They are selling beer at Dix again.

This might be a reallllly stupid question, BUT, I thought it was against NCAA rules to sell beer inside the stadium by the school, I assume that
09-15-2003 02:58 PM
Flashfan88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

First game that I went to this season, but I went to all the home games last year;

my take on the game:

The Flashes played way to conservative with the exception of the first drive following
the opening kickoff. On that first drive Kent opened things up and went right down
the field with little or no problems. Cribbs just powered his way into the endzone and
the YSU defense just sort of hung on to him without bringing him down. After that
it was E. Brooks up the middle for most of the game until YSU got the lead in the 4th qtr
and by then they had momentum and was playing with more intensity. Kent completly
got out of their rhythm, and relied on some good defense and turnovers to win the game.

The first drive showed the difference between the teams, why Kent decided to play power
football after that eludes me (and they had to use a Freshmen back because Alston
was nagged by a shoulder injury). YSU played with way more intensity and desire; they
just expect to win no matter who they play; its that attitude that comes from all success
they have had.

I saw every home game last year ..... and barring the injuries, this team is way better than
last years team - they have to get that attitude that YSU has - that they can compete
with anyone and win.

The new east side stands were great seats, it felt like you were right on top of the field.

Great crowd, it felt like a big time event, the University did a nice job of creating a
festive event.

Go Flashes
09-15-2003 04:26 PM
The Flash Offline
All American

Conservative seems to be Coach Pees M.O. It may cost him his job in the end... He is a great guy and has raised the level of this program whether the other MACsters believe it or not. However, he now needs to prove that he can make this a regularly competitive team, .500 or better most year. No more 0-11s!

What is the athletic dept slogan... WINNING IS CONTAGIOUS!

Then the football program need to get infected and catch the fever!

GO FLASHES! STAY HEALTHY AT PSU!
09-15-2003 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.