Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

bg tailgating
Bookmark and Share
columbuschip Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Will be going to BG on October 4. Does anyone have an idea of the current tailgating situation. Recent policies changes and crackdowns such as at CMU and Ohio State are inconvenient in regards to having a pregame beverage, does anyone have an idea of the current atmosphere at BGSU?
09-30-2003 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Drinking alcohol in the parking lots outside of Perry Stadium is, technically, an open container violation -- and this fact is vigorously unenforced.

If you make the mistake I once did -- of bringing an open beer right up to the stadium gate -- campus police will simply ask you to walk back away from the stadium.

(Note that I was *not* asked to pour it out).
09-30-2003 11:16 AM
columbuschip Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought. I appreciate the response. Fire Up Chips. Lose the Flying C. Bring back the spear. Take it easy on us and/or take us lightly next weekend.
09-30-2003 11:20 AM
Advertisement

Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

columbuschip Wrote:Lose the Flying C.
You looking for trouble, punk?! :chair:
09-30-2003 11:38 AM
columbuschip Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The Flying C on our Chippewa helmets. :withstupid:
09-30-2003 12:18 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

columbuschip Wrote:The Flying C on our Chippewa helmets. :withstupid:
My thought is that spears would be in bad taste for Central Michigan.

I think "Chippewas" is a great nickname, but you boys need to be careful.

This is just a guess, but I'm thinking the Saginaw Chippewa Tribe of Michigan wouldn't look too kindly on putting spears back on the helmets.
09-30-2003 12:23 PM
Flying Corn Offline
All American

I Root For: "The" N-I-U

columbuschip Wrote:The Flying C on our Chippewa helmets. :withstupid:
Got it the first time. Just funning with ya, newbie.

Welcome to the board.
09-30-2003 12:40 PM
Advertisement

columbuschip Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

You are politcially correct.

The University and the Tribe have a good relationship and the use of the nickname honors the tribe.

For the typical college football fan, however, the spear is not meant to be demeaning but is meant to project power and conveys the heart or pride of a (any) warrior attitude , not demean a people. It honors their heritage. Some would rather them forget their heritage.

I personally do not believe having a spear on a helmet would cause me to stereotype an individual. It is a shame if it does for others.

I think Florida State honors the Seminoles.

In the ivory tower world of universities, political correctness and diversity are wonderful ideals and therefore the logo will not come back. For the alumni that had it, there is a pride in it that has been stripped, and that is a shame.
09-30-2003 12:58 PM
columbuschip Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Thanks Corn.
09-30-2003 12:59 PM
Schadenfreude Offline

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Quote:You are politcially correct.

That may be true. But my goal is simply common decency.

Quote:The University and the Tribe have a good relationship and the use of the nickname honors the tribe.

I agree the university and the Saginaw Chippewa nation have a good relationship -- which is why I encourage Chippewa fans who want to bring back the spear to be careful what they wish for.

Quote:For the typical college football fan, however, the spear is not meant to be demeaning but is meant to project power and conveys the heart or pride of a (any) warrior attitude , not demean a people.

The typical college football fan doesn't know jack about American Indians and I don't know that the typical college football fan has any idea whether or not a spear would be demeaning, which is why I'm posting right now.

Being an American Indian isn't about being a warrior any more than being an American is about being a soldier.

Let me put it to you this way: My guess is that more than a few Saginaw Chippewas would regard a spear on the helmet about as kindly as folks in Rochester, N.Y. would regard the Rochester Americans AHL team if it replaced its red-white-and-blue shield logo with a mushroom cloud.

Our ability to nuke anyone into oblivion is a small part of our American legacy, but it it doesn't reallly represent how we see ourselves or our ideals.

Likewise, a spear is a mere tool, one that I highly doubt encapsulates the Saginaw Chippewa ideal.

I think "Chippewas" is a fantastic nickname, and I'm glad that a good relationship with the Saginaw Chippewas has made people on all sides comfortable with it.

I also agree that the flying C is kinda bland.

If you want a logo that's more dynamic, I would suggest starting a dialogue with the Saginaw Chippewas to see if you can come up with something better.

You might be surprise what you come up with.

This is totally a guess, but if the nickname was the "Oneidas" one possible result might be a logo of a pine tree.

[Image: OINlogolarge.gif]

Again, that's a guess. If the Oneidas attach a great deal of religious value to that logo, they might hate the idea of a football team using it. (Picture, if you will, Christian crosses on football helmets. A lot of people might consider that inappropriate).

You might say a pine tree would be a terrible logo for a football team, which is about going to war on the gridiron. But, if this is about honoring a great nation, then great deference needs to be given to how that nation sees itself.

I'd also suggest that objections to a pine tree logo probably show that "Chippewas" was not chosen randomly -- but, rather, to conjure up the image of fierce savage killers with spears, much in the same way teams try to intimidate with nicknames like "Lions" or "Tigers."

Again, I'm glad Central Michigan has moved forward and genuinely wants to honor its namesake. My fear is that a spear logo would be a step in the wrong direction.

Quote:It honors their heritage. Some would rather them forget their heritage.

I'm not sure a spear would do that. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:I think Florida State honors the Seminoles.

This is really the call of the Seminole nation or nations if you ask me.

But if I were a Seminole, I think I'd be pretty horrified at all the tomahawk chopping by fans and the B-movie war chants that go on in that stadium -- chants I assume have very little to do with actual Seminole history.

Quote:In the ivory tower world of universities, political correctness and diversity are wonderful ideals and therefore the logo will not come back. For the alumni that had it, there is a pride in it that has been stripped, and that is a shame.

I'll grant that it looked cool. But if the relationship with the Saginaw Chippewas is genuinely important, than it probably needed to go.

But I'm speculating.
10-02-2003 08:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.