Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Attention all Ohio territory folks...
Bookmark and Share
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies

My wife just heard from someone who supposedly knows these things that Ohio is not technically a State. Why? Because the original paperwork admitting Ohio to the U.S. was left unsigned for a long time, then signed retroactively. I'll try to verify this, but in the meantime...

...comments? I'd especially like to hear from some of the lawyers out there.

P.S. - yes, I know this is incredibly trivial. Call me easily amused. :wave:
07-14-2004 08:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

CMichFan Wrote:My wife just heard from someone who supposedly knows these things that Ohio is not technically a State.  Why?  Because the original paperwork admitting Ohio to the U.S. was left unsigned for a long time, then signed retroactively.  I'll try to verify this, but in the meantime...

...comments?  I'd especially like to hear from some of the lawyers out there. 

P.S. - yes, I know this is incredibly trivial.  Call me easily amused.  :wave:
If Kentucky starts makin' noises about annexing us, I'm heading for the gun shop to stock up.
07-14-2004 10:20 PM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

Your wife heard correctly...I believe the correct paperwork didn't get done until the 1950s
07-14-2004 11:12 PM
BuckeyeStu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

and yet we still beat you in the Toledo war... Ohio 1, M*ch*g*n 0
07-14-2004 11:49 PM
knight_01 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

That Toledo story is a killer. Was it a 19 yo governor that started that or am I thinking of another story?
07-15-2004 12:13 AM
BuckeyeStu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Yep, the Territory of M*ch*g*n decided one they that they were just going to try and annex Toledo, Ohio. Of course Ohio didn't like that too much so they did what anyone would have done and blocked M*ch*g*n's attempts at statehood in congress. M*ch*g*n's 19 year old govenor of the time was a hot head and was slightly mentally ill, he decided he was going to invade Ohio with the territorial militia. Of course Ohio wasn't going to sit back and take it so they marched their much larger and stronger state militia north to meet the invaders. But bloodshed was avoided because the M*ch*g*n militia got lost in the swampy terrain of Northeast Ohio and was forced to turn back. The conflict was finally resolved in congress. Ohio was allowed to keep Toledo while M*ch*g*n was awarded the upper peninsula(from what would have been Wisconsin territory) and M*ch*g*n was finally allowed to be admited into the union.

On a side note, Ohio newspapers of the time described the invading M*ch*g*ners as blood thirsty and savage like the animal Wolverines. M*ch*g*ners, being the same stupid people back then as they are today, thook it as a compliment and adopted it as a nickname to refer to all people in the state of M*ch*g*n.
07-15-2004 12:45 AM
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies

I knew there was something wrong with you people.

Maybe that explains why you can't drive. All licenses are void in the state of Ohio as it isn't one.
07-15-2004 12:58 AM
Karl Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

BuckeyeStu Wrote:Yep, the Territory of M*ch*g*n decided one they that they were just going to try and annex Toledo, Ohio. Of course Ohio didn't like that too much so they did what anyone would have done and blocked M*ch*g*n's attempts at statehood in congress. M*ch*g*n's 19 year old govenor of the time was a hot head and was slightly mentally ill, he decided he was going to invade Ohio with the territorial militia. Of course Ohio wasn't going to sit back and take it so they marched their much larger and stronger state militia north to meet the invaders. But bloodshed was avoided because the M*ch*g*n militia got lost in the swampy terrain of Northeast Ohio and was forced to turn back. The conflict was finally resolved in congress. Ohio was allowed to keep Toledo while M*ch*g*n was awarded the upper peninsula(from what would have been Wisconsin territory) and M*ch*g*n was finally allowed to be admited into the union.

On a side note, Ohio newspapers of the time described the invading M*ch*g*ners as blood thirsty and savage like the animal Wolverines. M*ch*g*ners, being the same stupid people back then as they are today, thook it as a compliment and adopted it as a nickname to refer to all people in the state of M*ch*g*n.
The so-called "militias" of both sides were largely a bunch of drunks marauding as sheriff's deputies. The closest thing to bloodshed in the whole thing came when Monroe County (MI)'s sheriff's "deputies" came across the state line and kidnapped a politicians family, who were soon retrieved.

Interesting side note (if this sort of thing interests you in the least)...Michigan actually had a legitimate claim. The boundary originally drawn up was a line running east from the southern tip of Lake Michigan...which would have included Toledo in Michigan. That it went to Ohio in the dispute is purely a matter of presidential politics...Ohio was a state, Michigan was not, and the president was more concerned about Ohio's votes, including their congressional votes.
07-15-2004 06:35 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

BuckeyeStu Wrote:Yep, the Territory of M*ch*g*n decided one they that they were just going to try and annex Toledo, Ohio. Of course Ohio didn't like that too much so they did what anyone would have done and blocked M*ch*g*n's attempts at statehood in congress. M*ch*g*n's 19 year old govenor of the time was a hot head and was slightly mentally ill, he decided he was going to invade Ohio with the territorial militia. Of course Ohio wasn't going to sit back and take it so they marched their much larger and stronger state militia north to meet the invaders. But bloodshed was avoided because the M*ch*g*n militia got lost in the swampy terrain of Northeast Ohio and was forced to turn back. The conflict was finally resolved in congress. Ohio was allowed to keep Toledo while M*ch*g*n was awarded the upper peninsula(from what would have been Wisconsin territory) and M*ch*g*n was finally allowed to be admited into the union.

Most people who have studied the matter will tell you Toledo was actually in Michigan Territory. Many early maps show Michigan's southern border was a bit south of where it is today.

When control of Toledo came into dispute, Michigan actually appealed to Congress for help.

But Ohio had members of Congress and Michigan didn't.

So Michigan sent the militia in.
07-15-2004 07:03 AM
Rightupinthere Offline
Mercenary of Churlishness

I Root For: BG 1st; MAC 2nd

There was one fatality in the Toledo War, wasn't there?

A deputy got stabbed in a tavern fight, or something. Would someone like to clarify this for me? I can't seem to find it.
07-15-2004 07:36 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

CMichFan Wrote:My wife just heard from someone who supposedly knows these things that Ohio is not technically a State. Why? Because the original paperwork admitting Ohio to the U.S. was left unsigned for a long time, then signed retroactively. I'll try to verify this, but in the meantime...

...comments? I'd especially like to hear from some of the lawyers out there.

P.S. - yes, I know this is incredibly trivial. Call me easily amused. :wave:
Yes, I read the same story last year as part of the bicentennial.

But, it's technically Ohio _was_ not a state. The paperwork has been filed, thank you.

They did make it retroactive, after all what are you going to do w/ all those presidents if they were ineligible?
07-15-2004 07:37 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Rightupinthere Wrote:There was one fatality in the Toledo War, wasn't there?

A deputy got stabbed in a tavern fight, or something. Would someone like to clarify this for me? I can't seem to find it.
I believe it was just a flesh wound.
07-15-2004 07:38 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

If I remember correctly, a deputy got stabbed in the leg.
07-15-2004 07:52 AM
Quote this message in a reply
RedSteve Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

BuckeyeStu Wrote:and yet we still beat you in the Toledo war... Ohio 1, M*ch*g*n 0
I thought we lost the war, and we were forced to take toledo as terms of the surrender... 03-wink
07-15-2004 07:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

MUther Wrote:I knew there was something wrong with you people.

Maybe that explains why you can't drive.  All licenses are void in the state of Ohio as it isn't one.
MUther,

I must agree. Ohio drivers must be the WORST in the nation. The only thing that peeves me more than BG losing to Bancroft High is seeing Aholes driving in the left lane at 55. Move it over!!!
Ohio drivers are famous for that. Drives me nuts.

Also, Ohio drivers like to drift into another lane without looking first...and then put the turn signal on after they're halfway into the next lane...and if they use a signal, consider yourself lucky.

Oh, to have a 1974 Olds that I could just ram some idiot without doing damage to my ride!!

Happy motoring! 03-lol
07-15-2004 08:26 AM
TJRocket Offline
All American

Crappies

<a href='http://www.toledolibrary.org/tprofile/' target='_blank'>http://www.toledolibrary.org/tprofile/</a> The best read you will find on the subject.
07-15-2004 08:30 AM
Advertisement

Dodo Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Falconfreak90 Wrote:
MUther Wrote:I knew there was something wrong with you people.

Maybe that explains why you can't drive.  All licenses are void in the state of Ohio as it isn't one.
MUther,

I must agree. Ohio drivers must be the WORST in the nation. The only thing that peeves me more than BG losing to Bancroft High is seeing Aholes driving in the left lane at 55. Move it over!!!
Ohio drivers are famous for that. Drives me nuts.

Also, Ohio drivers like to drift into another lane without looking first...and then put the turn signal on after they're halfway into the next lane...and if they use a signal, consider yourself lucky.

Oh, to have a 1974 Olds that I could just ram some idiot without doing damage to my ride!!

Happy motoring! 03-lol
You guy obviously haven't spent any time in ATL -- then again, most people in ATL are from Ohio.

Nevermind.
07-15-2004 08:30 AM
HuskieDan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Hence the right to bear arms and have a militia is guaranteed by the Constitution - to protect us all from Michigan's governor.
07-15-2004 08:33 AM
Rightupinthere Offline
Mercenary of Churlishness

I Root For: BG 1st; MAC 2nd

TJRocket Wrote:

A deputy got stabbed in a tavern fight, or something.&nbsp; Would someone like to clarify this for me?&nbsp; I can't seem to find it.
<a href='http://www.toledolibrary.org/tprofile/' target='_blank'>http://www.toledolibrary.org/tprofile/</a> The best read you will find on the subject.
Excellent read TJRocket, thanks.

I found this passage rather humorous:
"In July the deputy sheriff of Monroe County came to Toledo to arrest George McKay and Two Stickney, the younger of Major Stickney's two sons."

Hmmm, I wonder what the name of the mayor's FIRST son was? 03-lol
07-15-2004 08:50 AM
EMUHuron Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

BuckeyeStu Wrote:and yet we still beat you in the Toledo war... Ohio 1, M*ch*g*n 0
so let me get this straight....

"winning" the war means you "get" toledo...

............................there's one war i'm glad we "lost"

must be the same mentality that baghdad bob had when they were "winning"
07-15-2004 08:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.