Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

16-28
Bookmark and Share
Santa Fe Falcon Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

It's the combined won-loss record this year of the teams who just joined C-USA-----Marshall, UCF, Tulsa, Rice, and SMU-----and it's gonna get worse.
11-05-2003 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:

Well, it'll get a lot worse if TCU and Houston leave for the MWC. Sounds like the MWC informally asked TCU to come along for the ride, but that TCU wanted to bring a "friend" along named Houston......methinks the MWC folks aren't as thrilled about that addition, though, so it's all 'up in the air". I think it's apparent that TCU wants out, though, but may not be able to get out on reasonable terms.
11-05-2003 12:27 PM
fatmanjim Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

A Falcon fan trying to shift focus from an arse whoopin' last evening? I can't blame ya I guess. 03-lol
11-05-2003 12:27 PM
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Glad you are so enamored with our move to C-USA that you took time to figure out those records. And since most of those new teams will be cellar dwellars in football in C-USA.....What is the record of the bottom 3 in the Mac plus UCF?
11-05-2003 12:29 PM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

pokey Wrote:Glad you are so enamored with our move to C-USA that you took time to figure out those records. And since most of those new teams will be cellar dwellars in football in C-USA.....What is the record of the bottom 3 in the Mac plus UCF?
Are you comparing Marshall, SMU, Tulsa, and Rice to the bottom 3 teams in the MAC?

Yeah, I guess Marshall does compare to Buffalo.......after all, you only beat Buffalo by 12. At least we covered the spread despite a sucky defense.
11-05-2003 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Last time I checked......covering the spread doesnt get you to bowl games. A Win is a Win.
I was comparing SMU, Rice, and Tulsa to being football cellar dwellars in C-USA, with UCF probably being the same in C-USA (about middle to bottom of pack) and Marshall being Marshall........near the top week in-week out.
11-05-2003 12:50 PM
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

Covering the spread when you are favored does mean you won Rocket Scientist!

Let's see, a team constantly covers the spread when you are favored or a team that wins but doesn't cover the spread. The one that covers the spread beat the other on their home field. Who would I choose for a bowl game?
11-05-2003 12:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Is that how it's done then..................man Marshall must be good at covering the spread then since they've made bowl games all 6 years since moving up from 1-AA. And winning 5 in a row (nation's longest streak by the way). Well let's use your logic. Toledo must be poor against the spread since they've only made 2 bowl games in last 6 years, and Marshall must be great since they've made 6 out of 6. Kudo's to Buffalo for covering the spread against Marshall.............now maybe they will make a bowl game this year for doing so. :rolleyes:
11-05-2003 01:03 PM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I never said making the spread alone gives you a bowl. If there are two teams a bowl is looking at and they both win, but the one wins by more and they beat the other team at their home they will be the one picked.

Is that a little easier for you to understand or should you take another drink of that moonshine you got?
11-05-2003 01:10 PM
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Thanks, but i don't drink. Anyway, just to fill you in on a few truths about college football. Money drives the wagon, not who covers the point spreads. Hypothetically speaking, say that the MAC got 3 bowl games this year, and Marshall and Toledo finished tied for 3rd. Marshall would probably go bowling, because they travel better and their TV ratings have been proven to be very good over the years (#1 and #2 rated college football games aired on espn2). The TV companies and bowl sponsors pick who they want..........and i don't think they even look at point spreads. Am i saying this is the right way to do it? NO, but thats the reality of the situation. PERIOD.
11-05-2003 01:16 PM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:

I think TeeGee did a Sagarin analysis for the "new CUSA-lite" vs. the MAC this year, and the MAC rating was higher. Not sure if he had Marshall and UCF already in the new CUSA, or in the MAC........not sure it would've mattered much this year.

The key to C-USA's viability as a strong non-BCS conference is TCU's decision.......I'd say it's a 50/50 proposition. They want out, but don't want to be alone in the Mountain West with no local rivals at all. Either way, Marshall has more in common with the C-USA programs, and will be happy with their decision, at least in terms of football and baseball.
11-05-2003 01:19 PM
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

pokey Wrote:Thanks, but i don't drink. Anyway, just to fill you in on a few truths about college football. Money drives the wagon, not who covers the point spreads. Hypothetically speaking, say that the MAC got 3 bowl games this year, and Marshall and Toledo finished tied for 3rd. Marshall would probably go bowling, because they travel better and their TV ratings have been proven to be very good over the years (#1 and #2 rated college football games aired on espn2). The TV companies and bowl sponsors pick who they want..........and i don't think they even look at point spreads. Am i saying this is the right way to do it? NO, but thats the reality of the situation. PERIOD.
You talk about Marshall traveling so well, but Toledo has a very good track record for bringing fans to bowl games.

There has pretty much been no difference in attendance at Bowl Games between Toledo and Marshall. Toledo has lost only one Bowl Game ever, and we have played in 8 bowl games. That one loss was last year to BC.

The only time that we played a ranked team in a bowl game was back in 1981.....we won that game. If you look at Toledo and Marshall's records in all games for the last 3 or 4 seasons you will see that they are pretty much the same. Quit trying to make Marshall out to be so much better.
11-05-2003 01:27 PM
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I agree with you ex-cincy........there is not much difference competition wise between the 2 conferences in football. With that being even, Marshall is faced with more revenues, more bigger market exposure (dallas-ft. worth, houston, birmingham, memphis, etc...), more bowl tie ins (might not stay at 5, but will definitely still be better than 2). There is rumor that TCU is looking at the MWC, but thats all it is, is looking. They have looked before. They will stay, because they will be the only team in their time zone (making travel much harder). Traveling distance will be greater, therefore travel expenses higher, and no natural rivalry, all of this with no greater revenue sharing than they are getting in C-uSA. I hope they won't make the move, and i dont think they will either.
11-05-2003 01:27 PM
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Its not too hard to travel from Toledo to Detroit. Show week in and week out that you will travel, and you might get invited if it comes down to that decision. Im not making Marshall out to be "so much better", we might be compared to other mac teams, but i know there is not a great difference between our 2 football programs. Thats why i am making this analogy. We show week in and week out that not only will we travel from Huntington to Detroit, but we will also go to Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, etc.........not just 'up the road' to Detroit.
11-05-2003 01:31 PM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Hey falcon, 33-10. What is this? The ****** wooping BG got on national tv last nite. And it's gonna get....wait it is worse!
11-05-2003 01:42 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

pokey Wrote:Its not too hard to travel from Toledo to Detroit. Show week in and week out that you will travel, and you might get invited if it comes down to that decision. Im not making Marshall out to be "so much better", we might be compared to other mac teams, but i know there is not a great difference between our 2 football programs. Thats why i am making this analogy. We show week in and week out that not only will we travel from Huntington to Detroit, but we will also go to Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, etc.........not just 'up the road' to Detroit.
It's pretty provincial of you to assume that the way that a team's fans travel to Huntington is indicative of how they travel overall. Then again, you fine appalachian folks are nothing if not provincial.
11-05-2003 01:56 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Flipper Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

The Knight Time Wrote:Hey falcon, 33-10. What is this? The ****** wooping BG got on national tv last nite. And it's gonna get....wait it is worse!
Win first, then talk smack. Honestly, hearing such talk from you people is like getting threatened by Gary Coleman :rolleyes:
11-05-2003 02:10 PM
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Call us appalachain folks, hillbillies, or whatever you want oddball, thats fine. If i could think of what category that a beard faced barnum and bailey looking vertically challenged little midget from Toledo would fall under, i would let you know too. Since your football team, always plays our little brother in the MAC, as a Marshall fan.........i will just refer to you as Mini-me from now on.
11-05-2003 02:16 PM
KingBob Offline
Hard Core

I Root For: TD's wit a shot

Crappies

I thought Marshall was heading to the C-USA... why are they still here? Oh, I get it... like a infestation... we will probably have to call in the fumagators when they leave... :wave: (same goes for UCF)

Actually, the distance that you have to travel each week is going to be a crusher for the teams... but, at least the football players can do their homework, practing their basket weaving during the long trips!!!
11-05-2003 02:20 PM
pokey Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

If you're going to talk smack KingBob.....at least bring some game. Its not even fun matching wits with someone of your caliber. 05-nono
11-05-2003 02:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.