Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EMU Track Athlete Captures NCAA Title
Bookmark and Share
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

I don't know if this is a first or not, but the MAC has a national champion! EMU's Jordan DeSilets won the NCAA National Title in the 3,000 Meter Steeplechase. 04-bow

Here is the <a href='http://www.emich.edu/goeagles/m-track/2003-2004/Releases/ncaamensfinal.pdf' target='_blank'>Official Release</a>

Just as a side note, has the MAC had any teams or other individuals capture a national title in the past? I know EMU played in the College World Series in 1976 and appeared in the old NCAA College Division Final Four in basketball. EMU had also won the NAIA baseball title back in 1970 and in football played for the D2 title in 1973. I know that CMU had a D2 national football championship as well prior to joining the MAC. But, for current MAC member schools do we have any national titles in any other sport that we can hang our hats on?
06-14-2004 03:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Congrats. Toledo's Brianna Shook finished 2nd in the Women's 3000 meter Steeplechase.

Looks like the MAC has some good Steeplechase athletes.
06-14-2004 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU, MSU, SVSU,

HuronDave Wrote:I don't know if this is a first or not, but the MAC has a national champion! EMU's Jordan DeSilets won the NCAA National Title in the 3,000 Meter Steeplechase. 04-bow

Here is the <a href='http://www.emich.edu/goeagles/m-track/2003-2004/Releases/ncaamensfinal.pdf' target='_blank'>Official Release</a>

Just as a side note, has the MAC had any teams or other individuals capture a national title in the past? I know EMU played in the College World Series in 1976 and appeared in the old NCAA College Division Final Four in basketball. EMU had also won the NAIA baseball title back in 1970 and in football played for the D2 title in 1973. I know that CMU had a D2 national football championship as well prior to joining the MAC. But, for current MAC member schools do we have any national titles in any other sport that we can hang our hats on?
Congratulations to Jordan! EMU Track & Field continues to do the university proud.
06-14-2004 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

That's terrific news!

I thought Boaz Cheriboywo won the NCAA cross country title for EMU just a couple of years ago. Dave Wottle from Bowling Green comes to mind as another possible NCAA titlist -- albeit from way back. He was my first real hero when I got into running. The Old Bobcat (my dad) took us up to BG to watch him run and meet him once.

BTW, Miami freshman Jake Dunkleberger finished sixth in the hammer throw, chucking that sucker 213 feet, 7 inches. Our full report on Miamians at the NCAAs is on the front page at MiamiHawktalk.com.
06-14-2004 04:08 PM
Advertisement

DevilGrad Offline
All American

I Root For:

Okay, so I'm not going totally crazy. Boaz won the NCAA cross country championship in 2001, capping an undefeated season, and then won the outdoor 10,000 at the men's track championship the following spring.

He was just named the cross country coach at Concordia in Ann Arbor.

<a href='http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/interviews/boazcheboiywo.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/intervi...zcheboiywo.html</a>

<a href='http://abraham.cuaa.edu/~athlete/wxcountry/index_wxcountry.html' target='_blank'>http://abraham.cuaa.edu/~athlete/wxcountry..._wxcountry.html</a>
06-14-2004 04:19 PM
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

Impressive!
06-14-2004 04:20 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

DevilGrad Wrote:Okay, so I'm not going totally crazy. Boaz won the NCAA cross country championship in 2001, capping an undefeated season, and then won the outdoor 10,000 at the men's track championship the following spring.

He was just named the cross country coach at Concordia in Ann Arbor.

<a href='http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/interviews/boazcheboiywo.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mensracing.com/athletes/intervi...zcheboiywo.html</a>

<a href='http://abraham.cuaa.edu/~athlete/wxcountry/index_wxcountry.html' target='_blank'>http://abraham.cuaa.edu/~athlete/wxcountry..._wxcountry.html</a>
Thanks DG! Geez, how soon I forget! 03-banghead
06-14-2004 04:32 PM
Advertisement

Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

Although not an NCAA Champion, former EMU track star Hasley (sp?) Crawford won a gold medal in the 100m Dash in a recent Olympic Games.

EMU has a good history in track and cross-country. But they should. Who wouldn't be running away from Ypsilanti as fast as they could? 03-razz
06-15-2004 07:55 AM
DexterEagle Away
1st String

I Root For: EMU, MSU, SVSU,

Okie Chippewa Wrote:Although not an NCAA Champion, former EMU track star Hasley (sp?) Crawford won a gold medal in the 100m Dash in a recent Olympic Games.

EMU has a good history in track and cross-country.&nbsp; But they should.&nbsp; Who wouldn't be running away from Ypsilanti as fast as they could?&nbsp; 03-razz
You just had to take that shot, didn't you? I guess you haven't been to Ypsi in a while. Either that or you overlooked all the new businesses and restaurants (Dalat for Vietnamese fare, Louie's Cafe for a more southern cuisine) in the downtown. Next time you are in the area stop by and see EMU's School of Business on the west side of downtown. Get into some of the neighborhoods on the east side and see all the restoration work being done on those stately homes. Also visit Depot Town for a meal at the Sidetrack or Cady's or for a couple of beers and some pool at Aubrey's. Be sure to come during the Frog Island Festival which is one of the best times of the summer or for their New Year's Eve Celebration with dozens of musical acts at venues all over the historic district and Depot Town. And be sure to visit the Michigan Antique Equipment Preservation Group Museum on Cross Street, between EMU and Depot Town.

Ypsi isn't what it used to be. Check it out some time.
06-15-2004 09:52 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Congrats to Disiltes and Shook.

I think Ball St had a champ in the 100 m a few years back too.
06-16-2004 07:30 AM
Advertisement

Dodo Offline
1st String

I Root For:

If there had been a BCS for track, we wouldn't have this thread.
06-16-2004 07:52 AM
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:

To answer your question, Bowling Green won the national title in hockey.

I think Western was also in the CWS at some point.
06-16-2004 08:39 AM
His Dudeness Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

The MAC has had numerous national champions and Olympians in track and field. In reality, the most successful sports in the MAC are cross country and track and field. WMU won a couple NCAA titles in cross country in the 60s. In 2002 EMU was third in the nation and CMU ninth. I believe Miami was top-15 this past fall. In track EMU, Kent State and Ball State (women) have finished in the top-25 nationally on a number of occassions.

The crazy thing is that some ADs are more than willing to drop small budget men's track programs that produce many true student-athletes and achieve at the national level to pump more money into many struggling FB programs.

Many MAC athletes at the NCAA national meet this year with several earning All-American honors. In track, you have to earn your way into the national meet either through posting one of the top performances in the nation or finishing in the top-5 at the NCAA regionals.

Why don't we ask the commish if he is going to do anything to promote well-rounded athletic programs in the MAC.

PS - Not a knock on college FB. Just an observation. :wave:
06-16-2004 11:55 AM
bobcatbythelake Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Ohio's Dwight Gardner won an NCAA wrestling title about five years back, and Bobcat Jake Percival was runner up in the same sport this year.
06-16-2004 02:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.