Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I see the error of my ways
Bookmark and Share
RocketWolverine Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I was talking with a buddy about this, and it really does make a lot of sense.

If Buffalo, EMU, Akron and Kent all head to D1AA because of the attendance thing, that is a GOOD THING. If that happens, I am all for staying in the MAC. Why? Let's look at it.

If UatB, EMU, Akron and Kent leave, along with Marshall and UCF already leaving, that leaves the MAC with eight schools:

UT
BGSU
MiamiU
NIU
OhioU
CMU
WMU
Ball State

That's a damn solid football lineup. Sure, I would love to have Marshall and UCF back at the expense of CMU and Ohio, but you can't have everything.

Which is better? The conference with teams in bigger markets (CUSA), or the conference with the better teams? If you have UT, BG, Miami and NIU battling it out every year, all of them playing all the rest every year, that conference gets attention. Plus, with most of the dead weight skimmed off, while it's only an eight team league with no championship game, it's also a league where half the teams are football powerhouses.

On top of that, an eight team league means you play seven opponents and get 5 non-conference games. You could schedule the old MAC teams like EMU, Akron and Kent to keep the rivalries going (especially for crap teams like CMU), or you could bring in big time teams from the Big Ten and Big East. For instance, UT could schedule Pitt every year and have that become a rivalry. The foundation was layed this year...

Further, when you get rid of Akron, Kent and EMU, you are also slimming down the number of schools that recruit in Ohio and Michigan. The Cleveland market would no longer have a D1 "home team," which would mean better recruits for the rest of us.

Eliminating crap teams like Akron, EMU and Kent would also add to the legitimacy of the league. People would start to realize that playing in the MAC is a battle, and the MAC champion has been tested. To make it through the MAC season would be tough, and I think that the MAC would actually get more bowl bids as an eight team league than they would as a 12 team league.

I think the whole travel expenses argument is overstated, but it would be a plus in the MAC's column.

As far as basketball is concerned, there is no saying that the MAC couldn't keep Akron and Kent. The Big East has plenty of great schools that don't have D1 football. the MAC could do it too. Keeping Akron and Kent in the MAC for basketball would be a good thing.

Of course, all of this centers around the NCAA enforcing that rule. If they don't enforce that rule, the MAC will remain bloated. In that case, I guess I would still be in favor of staying in the MAC, but only to attempt to dominate and hope a Big East invite would come soon.
01-24-2004 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Karl Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbs

While I like the idea of a strong 8-team league at first glance, I don't relish the idea of trying to schedule 3 or 4 home games against OOC 1A opponents every year. It's tough getting ONE to come to the Glass Bowl as it is now.
01-24-2004 04:14 PM
Advertisement

rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Karl, an 8 team league would guarantee 3 MAC home games. We would only need 2 OOC home games in the years we have 3 MAC home games and just 1 OOC home game in years we have 4 MAC home games.

A 9 team league works much better. That would be 4 MAC home games every year.
01-24-2004 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:

RocketWoleverine:

I agree with your conclusion but for a very different reason----see my post below your similar post on the Toledo board. IMO there are real dangers facing both CUSA and the MAC----without a crystal ball it is really difficult to know what to do. My feeling is: if you are likely to get screwed with either decision you may as well stay where you are and save the exit and entry fees.
01-24-2004 07:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.