Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Zips hit stride in new offense
Bookmark and Share
Excalibur Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Zips hit stride in new offense
After struggling to adjust, Akron is 2-1 in the MAC behind NFL prospect Charlie Frye.
By Alan Schmadtke
Sentinel Staff Writer

October 14, 2004

When his playing days are done, which he hopes are at least a decade away, Charlie Frye sees coaching in his future. He'll have some experience to highlight on his first job interview.

"That's the one thing I'll remember most about this season, how I've helped guys learn and hopefully get better," said Frye, Akron's record-setting quarterback. "It's been a tough season in some ways, but it's been fun in that way."

Despite a less-than-seamless transition of coaches, Akron (2-4, 2-1) hits Orlando for a Saturday night Mid-American Conference date with UCF -- also undergoing a less-than-seamless transition of coaches -- with its best conference standing in more than a decade.

This was supposed to be a monumental season for Frye, a mobile, 6-foot-4, 225-pound senior with 39 career starts. He holds 49 school records, ranks in the MAC's top 10 in career offense (10,121 yards) and is the latest in a string of its quarterbacks to draw NFL attention.

Coming off its first seven-win season in five years, Akron entered 2004 returning Frye, four starters on the offensive line and promising new runners and receivers. It also came in with J.D. Brookhart as coach in place of Lee Owens -- and with a new offense that puts Frye in the pocket instead of rolling out, one that asked quarterbacks and receivers to read and adjust on the fly.

"I'm really enjoying the drop-back game. Every week I've felt more comfortable," Frye said. "It's a nice change from rolling out every play like we did the last couple years . . . but this offense, it requires me to see the same things the receivers see and for them to see the same things I see."

So far, the Zips are unbalanced and mistake-prone. They're last in the league in rushing (86.3 yard average) and 12th of 14 teams in total offense (298.3). This from a team that a year ago was third in the MAC in total offense, averaging 301 yards passing and 158 on the ground.

"It's a lot of little things," receiver Domenik Hixon said. "We'll have a third-and-6, and a receiver will break off a route at 5 yards. We'd end up with fourth-and-short. Or one of us [receivers] would see something different than Charlie, and there's some miscommunication. And there have been times we've had penalties."

Last week, little things got fixed. Akron produced season-highs in points (44) and rushing (172) in beating Buffalo.

Despite the frustrations, Akron can move to 3-1 in the MAC for the first time since 1992. It is one of the few teams that controls its own conference destiny.

"We've made great strides in a short time," Frye said. "It just took a while to get on the same page and then make adjustments under live fire. We're getting better every week we go out there."

Spoken like a true teacher.

:wave:
10-14-2004 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF

The photograph that the Sentinel chose to go with this article was an interesting choice. It was a picture of Charlie Frye being sacked. If you're going to print a story that contains a lot of good things about Frye's playing ability, then show a photo of him making a good play or something. Unless this photo was perhaps meant to jinx the Zips somehow . . . . :D
10-15-2004 07:22 AM
Akron Zippers Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Well it didnt "jinx" the Zips SAturday!! LOL

Finally a running Game! 04-rock
10-17-2004 07:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.