Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I can't access Essency's site
Bookmark and Share
Dodo Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Can someone post his latest attendance averages?
11-03-2004 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

For all of the Miami successes on the night, there was a large loss. Only 13,940 fans attended, pushing the season's average attendance to just 13,269. That means the RedHawks will be put on probation by the NCAA and if they average less than 15,000 fans next season their Division I-A status could be in jeopardy.

There is a discrepancy between the reported game-day numbers released by the school and the audited numbers.

Because there was a lightning delay in the season-opener against Indiana State on Aug. 28 and the stadium was cleared, it is unlikely the auditor will let Miami's attendance figure of 18,022 be used toward the average.

There also was a discrepancy of 6,973 between Miami's announced attendance of 20,113 for the Sept. 18 game against Ohio and the auditor's number of 13,140.

The released average attendance was 15,742, but the audited attendance numbers fell short of the needed 15,000.

<a href='http://www.cincypost.com/2004/11/03/mufoot11-03-2004.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cincypost.com/2004/11/03/mufoot...11-03-2004.html</a>
11-03-2004 11:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Essency Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF

Weird. Seems to be working from my side. If it still doesn't work for you, just scroll down the board till you reach "This Weekend's MAC Attendance Week Ten".
11-03-2004 12:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Essency Offline
Special Teams

Kit-Cat Wrote:For all of the Miami successes on the night, there was a large loss. Only 13,940 fans attended, pushing the season's average attendance to just 13,269. That means the RedHawks will be put on probation by the NCAA and if they average less than 15,000 fans next season their Division I-A status could be in jeopardy.

There is a discrepancy between the reported game-day numbers released by the school and the audited numbers.

Because there was a lightning delay in the season-opener against Indiana State on Aug. 28 and the stadium was cleared, it is unlikely the auditor will let Miami's attendance figure of 18,022 be used toward the average.

There also was a discrepancy of 6,973 between Miami's announced attendance of 20,113 for the Sept. 18 game against Ohio and the auditor's number of 13,140.

The released average attendance was 15,742, but the audited attendance numbers fell short of the needed 15,000.

<a href='http://www.cincypost.com/2004/11/03/mufoot11-03-2004.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cincypost.com/2004/11/03/mufoot...11-03-2004.html</a>
What an unfortunate mess. For consistancy sake, I guess I'll continue to use the announced attandance. I'll just have to be patient and let Miami, the auditors, and the NCAA figure out this mess.

How do the other schools handle publishing their audited attendance counts? Do they only publish their announced attendance throughout the season and save the audited numbers for the NCAA, or do they simply use the audited numbers as their "announced" attendance?
11-03-2004 12:17 PM
ex Cincy Kid Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

The audited numbers are not known when attendance is announced right after the game, so I think most everyone is announcing unaudited numbers. Miami's average with those numbers is around 16K, but as has been reported there is a strange disconnect on the OU game figures, and the ISU game is not being counted due to the stadium-clearing incident right before the game. So, despite what is being reported, I don't really expect Miami to be put on notice due to the unusual circumstances surrounding the ISU, but of course I could be wrong (happens every now and then.... :D )
11-03-2004 12:29 PM
Advertisement

Essency Offline
Special Teams

ex Cincy Kid Wrote:The audited numbers are not known when attendance is announced right after the game, so I think most everyone is announcing unaudited numbers. Miami's average with those numbers is around 16K, but as has been reported there is a strange disconnect on the OU game figures, and the ISU game is not being counted due to the stadium-clearing incident right before the game. So, despite what is being reported, I don't really expect Miami to be put on notice due to the unusual circumstances surrounding the ISU, but of course I could be wrong (happens every now and then.... :D )
Yeah, I figured the school wouldn't have the audited numbers back so soon after the game as to make the stat sheets.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA plays it. I hope you're correct. I guess I'll use the 13940 number since that's all I have to work with. I'll have to remember to check back on the NCAA website after this weekend to see what they put for your game.
11-03-2004 12:39 PM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Why is there such a discrepancy between the announced numbers and the audited numbers? There are only three ways you can count attendance: 1) issue every attendee a ticket, collect them, and count them; 2) require every attendee to pass through a turnstile and let the turnstile do the counting; 3) have someone at each gate manually count each person who enters.

Now, the ISU game is an extraordinary circumstance so I can see why there is confusion over that one. But, why the Ohio discrepancy?
11-03-2004 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

If you figure the four game average is 13,269, then averaging in the 18,022 of the ISU game raises the average to 14,220. Still below the 15,000 mark.

You may get a notice in the mail, but I wouldn't worry.

1.Miami has a consistant history of making the 15,000 mark.

2.Bad luck with the weather and scheduling conflicts

3.Attendance rule will most likely be relaxed by grandfathering
11-03-2004 12:50 PM
ex Cincy Kid Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

Good question, MAKO....due to comments from students about not going through the turnstyles prevailing thought is that we have many attendees not being counted for the auditors.....if true, shame on us for undercounting our attendance. As mentioned many times, the ISU game is such an unusual deal I have to think that the NCAA will put an asterisk on it rather than put us in the restricted category.....at the very least I would expect our school to push back hard on it. (And KC, I think the argument might be that the attendance at ISU w/o the stadium clearing would've been higher than the 18K that was announced).

My concern specific to Miami on the restricted category is more the impact on recruiting, as I'm not too concerned about hitting the 15K next season (we have UC at home, and unlikely to get such unlucky bad weather, esp. early in the season).
11-03-2004 12:51 PM
Advertisement

MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

The other thing that would be a major concern for Miami (OH) hitting the 15k mark is the prohibition on post-season play for the probation season. The Redskins have a very legit shot at the MAC East title, the MACC and a bowl game. If they're on probation, they're not eligible for either the MACC or the bowl.
11-03-2004 01:40 PM
ex Cincy Kid Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

The way the NCAA announced it, I don't think that restriction (bowls) kicks in until the second time you miss 15K in a 10 year period, MAKO. If I'm wrong on that somebody correct me.
11-03-2004 02:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.