Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio fights the dark side
Bookmark and Share
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

ATHENS, Ohio - As part of a new project that will explore the structure of the universe - from the tiniest bits of matter to the largest galaxies in the cosmos - Ohio University has become a partner in the MDM Observatory, joining the University of Michigan, Dartmouth College, Columbia University and Ohio State University in the operation of two telescopes on Kitt Peak in southern Arizona.

Ohio University has committed $1.4 million to the Structure of the Universe project as part of a new program to establish research priorities at the institution to strengthen its national and international reputation.

Ohio now joins major research institutions such as Princeton and Cal Tech in examining the link between the astronomy and physics fields and exploring fundamental issues about our universe.

The project also will boost opportunities for student research and learning, Hicks noted, as Ohio University joins the top 30 astrophysics institutes in the nation with this level of telescope access. The university funding will cover expenses for undergraduates traveling to Arizona to make use of the observatory.

Discover magazine ranked two findings by Ohio University physicists in the Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics on its Top 100 Science Stories of 2003 list: the discovery of a subatomic particle of matter called the pentaquark at No. 9 and the confirmation of the theory for charge symmetry breaking at No. 49.

<a href='http://www.ohiou.edu/researchnews/science/structure_universe.html' target='_blank'>http://www.ohiou.edu/researchnews/science/...e_universe.html</a>
11-04-2004 02:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

$1.4 million? Save your money. Here's the center of the universe...

[Image: barris.jpg]

And it'll only take me $500K to prove it.
11-04-2004 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Stick4489 Wrote:$1.4 million? Save your money. Here's the center of the universe...

[Image: barris.jpg]

And it'll only take me $500K to prove it.
As a representive of Marshall University you should collaborate with researchers from the University of Akron and Eastern Michigan University in "Gong of the Universe Project".
11-04-2004 03:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

CrappiesCrappies

No collaboration necessary. I've already done it. Why would I want to share the credit?

May Chuck Barris be with you.
11-04-2004 03:54 PM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Actually, I think stuff like this is very cool. I've read a number of books dealing with the science of the very small (sub-atomic) and the science of the very large (the universe). I can recommend all of these but none are what I would call easy reads although the concepts can be grasped by reading them slowly and thinking about them a few times.

1. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
2. Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality - John Gribbin
3. Hyperspace: A Scientific Odessy Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension - Michio Kaku
4. The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory - Brian Greene
5. About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution - Paul C. W. Davies
11-04-2004 05:28 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

MAKO Wrote:2. Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality - John Gribbin
This is a big one in time travel theory.
11-04-2004 05:41 PM
skeeter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Hey MAKO... Thanks for the suggestions...! Any one of the five you recommend first?

:pom:
11-04-2004 05:52 PM
Advertisement

Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

CrappiesCrappies

MAKO Wrote:Actually, I think stuff like this is very cool. I've read a number of books dealing with the science of the very small (sub-atomic) and the science of the very large (the universe). I can recommend all of these but none are what I would call easy reads although the concepts can be grasped by reading them slowly and thinking about them a few times.

1. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
2. Schrodinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality - John Gribbin
3. Hyperspace: A Scientific Odessy Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension - Michio Kaku
4. The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory - Brian Greene
5. About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution - Paul C. W. Davies
Of course, all of these were heavily influenced by Chuck Barris' Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

[Image: confessions.jpg]
11-04-2004 06:06 PM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Hmmmmm. If I had to rank them, easiest to comprehend vs. more difficult to comprehend:

1. Davies
2. Hawking
3. Kaku
4. Gribbin
5. Greene
11-04-2004 06:40 PM
skeeter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Thanks MAKO!

By the way, is the final comprehensive? :D
11-05-2004 12:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.