Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Antonio Gates
Bookmark and Share
Reno79 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State

San Diego's Antonio Gates tied an NFL single-season record for tight ends with his 12th touchdown reception Sunday, scoring on a 72-yarder in the second quarter against the Cleveland Browns. He is almost there!

04-bow 04-bow 04-bow
12-19-2004 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

Congrats Antonio. Way to represent the MAC!

Who woulda thought that getting kicked off of EMU's basketball team would work out so well. :D
12-19-2004 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Quote:Who woulda thought that getting kicked off of EMU's basketball team would work out so well. 

Worked out pretty well. Probably helped him get his act together.

Gates was a model citizen at Kent State, and has inquired about coming back to finish his degree. NFL record or not, he's gotta graduate to have his jersey retired.

'Tone was planning to go back to see the hoops team this week. Hope he provided some inspiration. Bet we see him at a few Flashes basketball games before the season's over.
12-19-2004 04:43 PM
HuronDave Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The MAC
DonatorsCrappiesCrappies

FlashFan Wrote:
Quote:Who woulda thought that getting kicked off of EMU's basketball team would work out so well. 

Worked out pretty well. Probably helped him get his act together.

Gates was a model citizen at Kent State, and has inquired about coming back to finish his degree. NFL record or not, he's gotta graduate to have his jersey retired.

'Tone was planning to go back to see the hoops team this week. Hope he provided some inspiration. Bet we see him at a few Flashes basketball games before the season's over.
Agreed. Gates has actually said in interviews that it was the best thing to happen to him as it made him wake up and become a better person. It's great to see what Gates has been able to accomplish. 04-bow
12-19-2004 04:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rockets1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo

i wonder what woulda happened had Gates played football...

a good target for Cribbs no doubt
12-20-2004 06:40 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

It's sort of a moot point. If Gates wanted to play football, he never would have left Michigan State. Saben recruited him to play footballl. Gates claims he was told he could play both football and basketball when he signed. When he couldn't play hoops, he left. The Spartans actually lost most of all.

Stan Heath was an assistant coach at MSU who tried to get him a spot on the Spartans hoops team. As the Flashes head coach, Heath told Gates he'd get his last chance at Kent State. Ironically, Dean Pees was an assistant to Nick Saben at the time Gates left the program at MSU. He treid to get Gates to play football at Kent State, so it was almost deja vu all over again. But Antonio only wanted to play basketball and thankfully no one pushed the football point.
12-20-2004 08:10 AM
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

Gates compares Chargers to Flashes. Okay with me. 03-wink

[quote]Ex-Flash Gates scores key TD
Tom Hardesty
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By David Carducci

Record-Courier staff writer

CLEVELAND - When Antonio Gates was being courted by NFL teams during his senior year at Kent State, he said he just hoped to sign a contract that would allow him to play someplace nice and warm.

San Diego fit that bill, but two years in the southern California sun didn’t keep Gates from feeling right at home when he was reintroduced to the bitter cold of northeast Ohio Sunday at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

The one-time Golden Flashes basketball star turned NFL superstar blazed a 72-yard path through the ice and snow for his 12th touchdown catch of the season, tying a league record and helping his San Diego Chargers clinch the AFC West Division championship with a 21-0 thumping of the Cleveland Browns.

In just his second season after being signed by the Chargers as an undrafted free agent who never played college football, the consistently surprising Gates has now tied the NFL record for touchdown catches by a tight end in a one season.

“It’s a great feeling, and it’s great that I could get that with my family from Detroit and my friends from Kent State here to see it,
12-20-2004 08:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.