Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marshall, which conference is better now?
Bookmark and Share
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

52-35 says it all.........................................
12-23-2004 12:04 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bignow Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Uh Marshall and UCF are still in the MAC. As everyone has mentioned before, there is not going to much in differentiation between the two leagues other than CUSA has better tv contracts and bowl slots ($$$$$$$03-wink. Have you ever left a job for better money and a better territory?
12-23-2004 07:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FlashFan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Kent State

Quote:As everyone has mentioned before, there is not going to much in differentiation between the two leagues other than CUSA has better tv contracts and bowl slots ($$$$$$$03-wink. Have you ever left a job for better money and a better territory?

Say it enough times and you'll believe it. But we won't.
12-23-2004 07:59 AM
ex Cincy Kid Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

The usual response to the MAC's bowl record vs. C-USA is that our top teams were playing the #2 C-USA teams in the GMAC, but this year Memphis was the #2 team in C-USA and had a solid 8-3 record, whereas BG did not win a divisional title in the MAC. Result was the BG was the superior team anyway. I suspect the "spin" for the C-USA apologists will be that the rain and the MAC participant made the crowd lousy (actually, it did appear that Memphis fans were out in force as the home side was packed........I was guessing they had 25-28K in the house).
12-23-2004 08:40 AM
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

I doubt you'll find many Marshall fans who don't think Bowling Green is a pretty good team.
12-23-2004 08:47 AM
ex Cincy Kid Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

BG's offense is tough.....I was very impressed by their receivers.....lotsa very good catches! Their D is suspect, but of course Memphis had a very good year offensively. I think BG would've won regardless but it really hurt Memphis to lose their top back in the second half.
12-23-2004 09:03 AM
Advertisement

SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:

No apologies here. BG was the better team and it showed. They have a great offensive scheme and Jacobs is awesome. Frankly, MAC and CUSA schools are probably about as even as you can get. The MAC has the upper hand for sure in bowl competition and Marshall hopes to add to that and make a statement of its own.
For some reason, CUSA seems to have a better national perception by those who do not follow the MAC closely, obviously, the natnional media is finding the MAC's top teams play excellent football.

One other question, Whats the deal with some NIU fans pounding thier chests ans slamming MU and some other MAC teams, mainly Toledo. Last time I checked, NIU hadn't won a football chamionship, let alone played in a MACC game. Win one first and then you can boast. I will say this, I am glad Joe Novack got into a bowl game, he deserves it.
12-23-2004 09:12 AM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

SVHerd Wrote:One other question, Whats the deal with some NIU fans pounding thier chests ans slamming MU and some other MAC teams, mainly Toledo.
They are hoping all of that noise will wake people up to watch their bowl game.I know I'm not watching a game that I have to set my alarm clock for :snore: 03-wink
12-23-2004 09:18 AM
Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

herdya Wrote:
SVHerd Wrote:One other question, Whats the deal with some NIU fans pounding thier chests ans slamming MU and some other MAC teams, mainly Toledo.
They are hoping all of that noise will wake people up to watch their bowl game.I know I'm not watching a game that I have to set my alarm clock for :snore: 03-wink
I'm glad I'm off the next day, or I would be :snore: at work.

So who's slamming other MAC teams? Well, maybe Marshall, since they're fair game because they're leaving.......
12-23-2004 09:38 AM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Let's see. The MAC's TV revenue is, well, to be honest, I don't know what it is but it's small. Very small. CUSA is renegotiating a 10 year, $80 million/year contract and rumor has it that the new contract will look very similar in terms of the payout. Travel destinations for away games include New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham (for those of us with an interest in civil rights history), Orlando, and El Paso. I'm wracking my brain trying to decide whether I'd rather be in New Orleans or Akron in late November. CUSA has five, count them, five bowl tie-ins. The MAC has two. For all the excitement among MACsters about the five bids this year, in next year's 12 game season, you'll get only two. And one of them requires you to travel to Detroit in December. 03-puke Last but not least, a lot more of our alumni base is south of Huntington rather than north of Huntington. There are only 2 alumni chapters in Ohio but there are 5 in North Carolina.

This move never had anything to do with the quality of competition but it had everything to do with money, bowl tie-ins, and a southern oriented fan base. Of course, it doesn't hurt that no CUSA members are going to be getting NCAA "letters of concern" in February. 03-razz
12-23-2004 09:41 AM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

bignow Wrote:Uh Marshall and UCF are still in the MAC. As everyone has mentioned before, there is not going to much in differentiation between the two leagues other than CUSA has better tv contracts and bowl slots ($$$$$$$03-wink. Have you ever left a job for better money and a better territory?
I know someone that once did. Only problem was that the travel was so much further and then gas prices rose so he quit the job and found a job that paid similar to the original job that was closer to home. 03-wink
12-23-2004 10:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brg Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

MAKO Wrote:Let's see.  The MAC's TV revenue is, well, to be honest, I don't know what it is but it's small.  Very small.  CUSA is renegotiating a 10 year, $80 million/year contract and rumor has it that the new contract will look very similar in terms of the payout. 
10 years, $80 million per year? $800 million dollars? Seems a bit high to me. The NHL's contract with ESPN is only $60 million per year for 40 games. Was that a typo?
12-23-2004 10:30 AM
The Knight Time Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

G-FORCE Wrote:52-35 says it all.........................................
How exactly does that say it all?

BTW- Enjoy that *huge* game against the runner up SUN BELT team in a bowl that is being dissolved as of next year.
12-23-2004 11:27 AM
MAKO Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Actually, I did misspeak. It's an 8 year, $80 milllion contract or $10 million per year. My bad.
12-23-2004 12:31 PM
Herd Fan 4-Life Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall

Donators

Stick4489 Wrote:I doubt you'll find many Marshall fans who don't think Bowling Green is a pretty good team.
Got that right!
12-23-2004 12:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MacLord Offline
All American

I Root For:

MAKO Wrote:Let's see. The MAC's TV revenue is, well, to be honest, I don't know what it is but it's small. Very small. CUSA is renegotiating a 10 year, $80 million/year contract and rumor has it that the new contract will look very similar in terms of the payout. Travel destinations for away games include New Orleans, Memphis, Birmingham (for those of us with an interest in civil rights history), Orlando, and El Paso. I'm wracking my brain trying to decide whether I'd rather be in New Orleans or Akron in late November. CUSA has five, count them, five bowl tie-ins. The MAC has two. For all the excitement among MACsters about the five bids this year, in next year's 12 game season, you'll get only two. And one of them requires you to travel to Detroit in December. 03-puke Last but not least, a lot more of our alumni base is south of Huntington rather than north of Huntington. There are only 2 alumni chapters in Ohio but there are 5 in North Carolina.

This move never had anything to do with the quality of competition but it had everything to do with money, bowl tie-ins, and a southern oriented fan base. Of course, it doesn't hurt that no CUSA members are going to be getting NCAA "letters of concern" in February. 03-razz
You shouldn't "rack your brain" choosing between Akron or New Orleans. Go to the place you can win a game. (Hint: Not Akron)
12-23-2004 12:42 PM
Advertisement

ex Cincy Kid Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Crappies

We've been over this "ground" countless times.

I think the original poster may have been referring to the on-field superiority of the MAC vs. C-USA as gauged by "head to head" competition in the regular season and bowls. All the arguments MAKO makes for leaving the MAC for C-USA (and the better TV deal, bowls, etc.) are all still very valid, but the argument that C-USA is a better conference competitively (at the upper half) cannot be reasonably backed up.
12-23-2004 01:01 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators

ex Cincy Kid Wrote:We've been over this "ground" countless times. 

I think the original poster may have been referring to the on-field superiority of the MAC vs. C-USA as gauged by "head to head" competition in the regular season and bowls.  All the arguments MAKO makes for leaving the MAC for C-USA (and the better TV deal, bowls, etc.) are all still very valid, but the argument that C-USA is a better conference competitively (at the upper half) cannot be reasonably backed up.
This common sense and logic must cease & desist.
12-23-2004 01:16 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

I have never argued that cusa is better at the top than the mac.. but schools in CUSA make much more $$$$ than schools in the mac... and... CUSA has 5 bowl tie ins... even if they lose one after shake up n Mac gains one... still has more bowl games.... $$$$$ and exposier is the the name of the game..
12-23-2004 04:06 PM
Thunder Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

ex Cincy Kid Wrote:We've been over this "ground" countless times.

I think the original poster may have been referring to the on-field superiority of the MAC vs. C-USA as gauged by "head to head" competition in the regular season and bowls. All the arguments MAKO makes for leaving the MAC for C-USA (and the better TV deal, bowls, etc.) are all still very valid, but the argument that C-USA is a better conference competitively (at the upper half) cannot be reasonably backed up.
BG's win over Memphis was the first true victory the NMAC can claim over the NCUSA. A better arguement (for the MAC) would be its' superiority over the Big East(IE. UofL,USF, & UC).
12-23-2004 05:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.