Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Basketball Question
Bookmark and Share
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Was it Kent St. getting to the Elite 8? Just curious....hopefully one of u can help. Thanks!
02-08-2005 05:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Falconfreak90 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

As far as I know, Kent State reaching the Elite 8 was the furthest a MAC team ever got...
02-08-2005 05:51 PM
LongtimeFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Yes, Kent State. Several others have made the Sweet 16, including Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Ohio, Miami.
02-08-2005 05:54 PM
NMBobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

LongtimeFan Wrote:Yes, Kent State. Several others have made the Sweet 16, including Ball State, Eastern Michigan, Ohio, Miami.
Actually, Ohio made the Final 8 in 1964, beating Louisville and Kentucky before losing to Michigan. :)
02-08-2005 06:03 PM
BobcatFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Actually, OU made the Elite 8 (1964, I think). This was back before the tournament expanded, so OU won fewer games to get there than Kent, but faced mainly conference champions.
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Falconfreak90 Wrote:As far as I know, Kent State reaching the Elite 8 was the furthest a MAC team ever got...
One would have to go WAY back to find another Elite 8 team... to the 40s, 50s or 60s.
NMBobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

BobcatFan Wrote:Actually, OU made the Elite 8 (1964, I think). This was back before the tournament expanded, so OU won fewer games to get there than Kent, but faced mainly conference champions.
Yes, there were only 24 teams in the field that year, so getting into the final 8 was a much easier thing to do.
02-08-2005 06:07 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Back in those days, there were a lot of excellent teams who didn't win their conferences and did not get invites. The NIT back then was a powerhouse event and its champion could rightly challenge the NCAA champ. It's like if UNC, who is ahead in the ACC right now, got the NCAA invitation, and Wake and Duke were left out. They may be top 20 teams, but they were out. Some weak conference champions were in. Not to say OU was one of those weak teams--they had some strong teams who could compete on a national scale I hear.
It was a whole different era.
02-08-2005 06:40 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Miami has been to the Sweet 16 4 times, the most of any team considered a midmajor...1958, 1969, 1978, 1999. Both OU and Kent reached the Elite 8 in their only Sweet 16 appearance. Ball State and Eastern Michigan have gone to the Sweet 16.
02-08-2005 10:21 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:

1979 UT Rockets#5 seed lose to #1 Mideast seed Notre Dame 79-71
in Sweet 16 appearance.ND loses to Michigan State #2 Mideast seed.Michigan State with Magic Johnson beats Indiana State and Larry
Bird 75-64.
02-08-2005 10:42 PM
BeatWestern Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

CMU also made the Sweet 16 in 1975. That year, the Chippewas (22-6) were led by future NBA players Dan Roundfield and James McElroy. CMU beat Georgetown 77-75 in its first game, then lost to Kentucky, which eventually won the national championship.

The following year, a WMU team that featured future NBA player Paul Griffin defeated Virginia Tech in its first game, before losing to Marquette.
02-08-2005 10:54 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

DICK Wrote:Miami has been to the Sweet 16 4 times, the most of any team considered a midmajor...1958, 1969, 1978, 1999. Both OU and Kent reached the Elite 8 in their only Sweet 16 appearance. Ball State and Eastern Michigan have gone to the Sweet 16.
What about Gonzaga?
02-09-2005 08:10 AM
falcon flier Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

To go way back in time, Bowling Green played Depaul (George Mikan) back in the early '50's for the NIT title in Madison Square Gardens. This was back when the NIT was considered the premier post-season tournament in the country.
Also, BG with Nate Thurmond and Howard Komives lost to Illinois by 2 points back in the 1962-63 season in the NCAA's after BG had beaten Notre Dame in their first game. Back then I believe there were only 24 teams that made the tournament. Some teams received first round byes back then. BG was the only team to beat the eventual champion Loyola of Chicago that year. At Anderson Arena BG won by 19 points and the Loyola coach said he knew when he walked into the building 2 hours before the game they were in trouble. The place was already rocking. I listened to it on the radio.
02-09-2005 08:32 AM
Advertisement

Dayons_Den Offline
2nd String

I Root For: B.G.S.U.

DrTorch Wrote:
DICK Wrote:Miami has been to the Sweet 16 4 times, the most of any team considered a midmajor...1958, 1969, 1978, 1999.  Both OU and Kent reached the Elite 8 in their only Sweet 16 appearance.  Ball State and Eastern Michigan have gone to the Sweet 16.
What about Gonzaga?
Gonzaga is a very RECENT (historically speaking) ESPN phenomenon much like Florida State football and watching the NFL draft live.
02-09-2005 09:09 AM
Willo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

Dayons_Den Wrote:
DrTorch Wrote:
DICK Wrote:Miami has been to the Sweet 16 4 times, the most of any team considered a midmajor...1958, 1969, 1978, 1999.  Both OU and Kent reached the Elite 8 in their only Sweet 16 appearance.  Ball State and Eastern Michigan have gone to the Sweet 16.
What about Gonzaga?
Gonzaga is a very RECENT (historically speaking) ESPN phenomenon much like Florida State football and watching the NFL draft live.
A recent phenomenon that produced John Stockton?
02-09-2005 03:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BobcatFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Willo Wrote:A recent phenomenon that produced John Stockton?
Yep, exactly.
02-09-2005 04:47 PM
exCincy Kid1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

What was Kent's final ranking after the Elite 8 appearance?

I know that if you go back in time they used to take some (maybe all) of the final polls either before the NCAA tourney, or even during it. I'm pretty sure that the final AP poll for 1978 had us (Miami) at #19...that was after we beat defending champ Marquette in the first round (32 team brackets) of the NCAA tourney, but before we lost badly to eventual NCAA champ Kentucky in the second round...pretty wierd.

Also, WMU's 25-3 team was ranked #10 in the final polls, but not sure if that was before the NCAA tourney as well. WMU won its first round game, and then lost a close one (to Marquette) in the sweet sixteen round.
02-11-2005 12:01 PM
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

I think we were #12. I also remember someone's ranking had us #8, but it was not one of the two major polls. We were not ranked at all during the regular season due to our slow start, despite winning 14 in a row up to the MAC tourney. Streak finally went to 20.
02-11-2005 12:13 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

Ohio was ranked in top 15 in Dec 1994 after winning the preseason Nit that year(wins at Ohio State, at Virginia, then New Mexico State& GW in NYC). The 4-0 Bobcats gave #3 Kentucky a big scare at Rupp in their next game out, but lost. They were ranked until losses At Xavier and At Iowa that month. Ball State was ranked a couple years ago after a great Maui Invitational. However, the 1964 Bobcats and The 2002 Kent State team were the MAC's elite 8 teams. Ohio was national runner up in 1941 to Long Island U. in the NIT. That banner still flies in the Convo rafters.
02-11-2005 10:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.