Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

the MAC-12 vs C-USA-12 in BB
Bookmark and Share
nert Offline
1st String

I Root For: Utah, CMU, Cincinnati

Since this year's data is almost all in, I figured it might be interesting to look at next year's C-USA and MAC line-ups in basketball (in terms of this year's results).

The MAC has:
- better overall record (167-119 for the MAC vs 153-146 for C-USA)
- better in-conference record (though C-USA-12 plays in several conferences this year, so this may not mean that much really)
- better OOC record (76-38 for the MAC vs 82-54 for C-USA)
- more teams + .500 (9 for MAC vs 7 for C-USA)
- zero teams with less than 9 wins, (C-USA has 3)

C-USA has:
- both of the teams with the best overall records (UTEP, UCF)

C-USA-12

UTEP (WAC) 20-7 (10-4)
UCF (Atl-Sun) 19-8 (11-7)
UAB (C-USA) 16-9 (6-6)
Houston (C-USA) 17-10 (8-5)
Memphis (C-USA) 16-10 (9-3)
Rice (WAC) 14-10 (8-6)
SMU (WAC) 12-11 (7-7)
SoMiss (C-USA) 10-15 (1-12)
Tulane (C-USA) 9-14 (3-9)
ECU (C-USA) 8-17 (3-10)
Tulsa (WAC) 7-17 (3-11)
Marshall (MAC) 5-18 (2-12)
(153-146 OVERALL)
(71-92 CONF*)
(82-54 OOC)
*in four different conferences

MAC-12
Miami(OH) 17-6 (11-3)
Buffalo 17-7 (9-6)
BGSU 16-7 (9-5)
Akron 16-7 (9-5)
Ohio 14-8 (8-6)
WMU 16-10 (9-6)
KentSt 16-10 (8-6)
Toledo 13-10 (8-6)
BallSt 12-11 (7-7)
EMU 12-13 (5-9)
NIU 9-15 (5-10)
CMU 9-15 (3-12)
(167-119 OVERALL)
(91-81 CONF)
(76-38 OOC)

It looks like we would be the higher ranked conference - but C-USA-12 could get more NCAA bids (2 vs 1). Obviously, the records for present C-USA members (Houston, UAB and Memphis et al) would likely be better (without Louisville, Cincinnati, Charlotte, etc on the schedule) -- but of course, UCF's would be worse without the benefit of their Atl-Sun schedule.
02-22-2005 02:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

nert Wrote:It looks like we would be the higher ranked conference - but C-USA-12 could get more NCAA bids (2 vs 1).
Who in Conference USA Lite ™ would be getting an at-large bid this year?

I don't see any teams with a top 50 RPI. Do you?
02-22-2005 06:38 AM
UBigbobby Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

UTEP probably, and Memphis or UAB could sneak in there just because is C-USA. They don;t deserve 2, but will get it because of who they are.
02-22-2005 04:42 PM
Papa Lou BSU Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

UTEP is considered by most experts to be "off the bubble" after their loss to Pacific in the Bracket Buster. The Miners are 20-7, but their non-conference schedule was mostly ridiculous. They are 20-7, but six of their wins are:

-Delaware State
-Jackson State
-IPFW
-Oklahoma Panhandle State
-Occidental College
-Alabama State

That's not going to impress the committee nor the RPI ratings. Also, they lost head-to-head vs. Southern Illinois on a neutral floor, so that's another mid-major that will likely get an at-large before the Miners do.
02-22-2005 05:52 PM
e-bethMSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis (State)

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I fear for the future of my Tigers when the new C-USA starts. If it weren't for football, I would be in favor of jumping to the MVC. Because of football, I would prefer we jump to the MAC.

Got any room?
02-22-2005 06:08 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

e-bethMSU Wrote:This doesn't surprise me at all.

I fear for the future of my Tigers when the new C-USA starts. If it weren't for football, I would be in favor of jumping to the MVC. Because of football, I would prefer we jump to the MAC.

Got any room?
What about trying to merge a few schools from the A-10, MAC, and CUSA to form another big time basketball conference.

"Conference Basketball"

West Division
Dayton
Memphis
Miami Oh
Northern Ill.
St.Louis
Toledo
Xavier

East Division
Buffalo
Charlotte
East Carolina
Marshall
Ohio
Richmond
Temple

Football Division
Buffalo
East Carolina
Marshall
Memphis
MiamiOH
Northern Ill.
Ohio
Temple
Toledo

The president of Ohio is talking about putting together a league like this.
02-22-2005 07:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Kit-Cat Wrote:The president of Ohio is talking about putting together a league like this.
Were the two of you having another crack party at the airport when he said that?
02-22-2005 07:57 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Shrakk Offline
I bleed midnight blue

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!

Kit-Cat Wrote:

I fear for the future of my Tigers when the new C-USA starts.  If it weren't for football, I would be in favor of jumping to the MVC.  Because of football, I would prefer we jump to the MAC.

Got any room?
What about trying to merge a few schools from the A-10, MAC, and CUSA to form another big time basketball conference.

"Conference Basketball"

West Division
Dayton
Memphis
Miami Oh
Northern Ill.
St.Louis
Toledo
Xavier

East Division
Buffalo
Charlotte
East Carolina
Marshall
Ohio
Richmond
Temple

Football Division
Buffalo
East Carolina
Marshall
Memphis
MiamiOH
Northern Ill.
Ohio
Temple
Toledo

easy answer.... NO
02-22-2005 08:04 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Oddball Wrote:
Kit-Cat Wrote:The president of Ohio is talking about putting together a league like this.
Were the two of you having another crack party at the airport when he said that?
He said OU was looking to put together a "new conference" and he's in talks with the presidents of Temple and Miami Oh about it. Right now its just talks and if anything did happen it would be a few years down the road.....maybe in 2010 during the next realignment. The MAC presidents are convinced realignment will continue into the future thus the proactive expansion stance we are seeing right now. Our AD is increasing the Bobcat budget right now in preparation for the next big shake up.
02-22-2005 08:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Shrakkrocket Wrote:
Kit-Cat Wrote:

I fear for the future of my Tigers when the new C-USA starts.  If it weren't for football, I would be in favor of jumping to the MVC.  Because of football, I would prefer we jump to the MAC.

Got any room?

"Conference Basketball"

West Division
Dayton
Memphis
Miami Oh
Northern Ill.
St.Louis
Toledo
Xavier

East Division
Buffalo
Charlotte
East Carolina
Marshall
Ohio
Richmond
Temple

Football Division
Buffalo
East Carolina
Marshall
Memphis
MiamiOH
Northern Ill.
Ohio
Temple
Toledo

easy answer.... NO
Why? Its just like the old CUSA.
02-22-2005 08:06 PM
Shrakk Offline
I bleed midnight blue

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!

I think you just answered your own question
02-22-2005 08:08 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Shrakkrocket Wrote:I think you just answered your own question
The old CUSA was a 4-6 bid basketball conference. I'd take that over the MAC any day.
02-22-2005 08:12 PM
IBleedOhioGreen Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Kit-Cat Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:
He said OU was looking to put together a "new conference" and he's in talks with the presidents of Temple and Miami Oh about it. Right now its just talks and if anything did happen it would be a few years down the road.....maybe in 2010 during the next realignment. The MAC presidents are convinced realignment will continue into the future thus the proactive expansion stance we are seeing right now. Our AD is increasing the Bobcat budget right now in preparation for the next big shake up.
Kit-Cat,
What is your source for this information? I have heard no such talk and there is no discussion on BobcatAttack.com. I'm trying not to let your reputation on this board, which is quite obvious, sway my reasons for questioning such an off-the-wall idea. But seriously, what journalist has reported that Dr. McDavis is in talks with Temple and Miami of such an idea?
02-22-2005 09:06 PM
KStud Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Any idiot that would want Ohio MAC schools in a basketball-geared conference and not have Kent State would be just that. :withstupid:
02-22-2005 09:12 PM
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Kit-Cat Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:
Who will be the flagship of this new conference? Also, will the flagship's fans get to wear cool tin foil hats?
02-22-2005 10:14 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

non-directional division:
Buffalo
Kent State
Akron
BGSU
Toledo
Ball State
Ohio
Miami

All-directional division
Eastern Michigan
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Middle Tennessee State
Western Kentucky
Northern Illinois
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa

This would work for football and keep some rivalries together. This would add some like teams for the MAC.
02-22-2005 10:34 PM
Advertisement

Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

How about:

The non-Tin Foil Hat Division:
Buffalo
Kent State
Akron
BGSU
Toledo
Ball State
Miami
Eastern Michigan
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Northern Illinois

The Tin Foil Hat Division:
Ohio
02-22-2005 10:44 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Kit-Cat Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:
He said OU was looking to put together a "new conference" and he's in talks with the presidents of Temple and Miami Oh about it.
Show me.

And if you can't, shut the ****** up.
02-22-2005 11:23 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

Schadenfreude Wrote:
Kit-Cat Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:
He said OU was looking to put together a "new conference" and he's in talks with the presidents of Temple and Miami Oh about it.
Show me.

See ya...... :wave:

Enjoy our replacement Western Kentucky. 03-lol
02-22-2005 11:37 PM
mollautt Offline
1st String

I Root For: Miami RedHawks

Kit-Cat Wrote:
Schadenfreude Wrote:
Kit-Cat Wrote:
Oddball Wrote:
Show me.

See ya...... :wave:

Enjoy our replacement Western Kentucky. 03-lol
=>I hate to say it, but the little feline is spouting something I have heard in my own circles. It is not quite the breakdown he wrote.

What I heard though has BSU, Toledo, NIU, and BUGS in the mix with Miami and Ohio. UB, the Michigan directionals, and the NE Ohio twins get cut.

Those six plus SIU, WKU, Temple, and Marshall to make a strong 10 league conference.

Interestingly enough, the WKU folk said the WKU to MAC has been in the work for a long time. I heard the breakdown I just gave above two years ago. :eek:

I also heard this before Marshall bolting to CUSA. But anyway, this is not really Kit-Cat's wet dream only.
02-23-2005 12:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.