Bookmark and Share
connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

PHILLY DAILY NEWS

Posted on Wed, Feb. 23, 2005

Rich Hofmann | Miscarriage of justice

CHANEY MOCKS GAME WITH HIS GOON TACTICS

AS ANYBODY who likes John Chaney can tell you, it is easier to like him on some days than others. Because his passion for justice, in all of its forms, is as admirable a quality as you're going to find in a public person. And, because, his blindness in pursuit of that justice sometimes threatens to overshadow all of the good.

With that, this was another Chaney moment - Temple-Saint Joseph's, playing for the second time in 2 weeks.

It began with Chaney, less than 5 minutes into the second half, being restrained by players and assistant coaches as he argued with the officials about what he felt were illegal screens that weren't being called on the Hawks. It continued with Chaney sending in 6-8, 250-pound senior forward Nehemiah Ingram to throw elbows and ask questions later.

Ingram hit everything that moved and fouled out in 4 minutes (including a technical foul). Chaney saw it as rough justice, but it wasn't. Instead, whether he knew it or not, he was mocking the game that has been his life.

"I'm sending a message,'' Chaney said. "And I'm going to send in what we used to do years ago - send in the goons. That's what I'm going to do. That's what you used to do...

"I've got me two of them on my bench and I'm going to use them. We try to play the game right. But when you've got two screens set up, and they're moving, there's only one person who used to set up screens like that, and that was Bob Knight, and he got away with it. The Celtics used to do it, they got away with it.

"I'm from the old school,'' he said. "I tried to play it right, but no more. No more.''

Ingram's last foul, a shove as the Hawks' John Bryant was making a basket underneath, left Bryant sprawled out among the cheerleaders for a couple of minutes. After the game, St. Joe's coach Phil Martelli said Bryant was fine, but he looked hurt at the time, and later on the bench.

To which, Chaney replied, "That's what happens. That's what happens. I'm a mean, ornery, son of a *****. You understand? When I see something wrong, I try to right it. I try to do the same thing they're doing.

"You ask me what's happening in the game? Illegal screens should never happen in the game.''

As he entered the interview room, Chaney was bellowing at Linda Bruno, the Atlantic 10 commissioner, about the officials. He asked her for Big Ten officials the next time, or ACC officials. He asked her loudly. Little did he know that two of last night's officials, Jim Burr and Mike Sanzere, also work in the Big Ten, and that the other official, Karl Hess, also works in the ACC. Oh, well.

It still made for some great theater, as Chaney moments often do. Then Bruno and everyone else listened to see if Chaney would admit the obvious - that he sent Ingram into the game as a guided missile and nothing more.

Admit it? There was never a question, seeing as how Chaney essentially promised to do the self-same thing on a Monday conference call with Atlantic 10 reporters. This was not some heat-of-the-moment overreaction to another tough game - oh, and by the way, the Hawks again beat the Owls last night, 63-56. This was a planned response if the officiating went the way Chaney suspected it would.

Asked if he was concerned about the game when he sent in a kid for the simple purpose of gooning it up, Chaney bristled.

"I'm worried about what happens when officials apply a different measurement for one team as opposed to another,'' he said. "You can protect shooters in a legal way, not illegal. I respect a team that plays as a team, but a moving screen is a moving screen...

"I'm also going to send a message to everybody in our league that when we come to play, we're going to set them, too. I'm not going to have my guys getting hurt. The last time, the guy hit Mardy [Collins, Temple's leading scorer] with a hip at the Palestra. No! The guy's standing there, looking at it! No, I don't play that game.''

Later, Chaney would call the original question - about whether he was concerned about the game when he pulled something like this - an "intellectually dishonest'' question. But it really wasn't. Because this was a Big 5 game, and Chaney and Hawks coach Phil Martelli are longtime friends and admirers of each

other, and this was just wrong. There is a difference between an illegal screen and a thrown elbow. There is a different intent, and there is a different result.

"What difference is it? What difference is it? Tell me,'' Chaney kept saying, as if it wasn't obvious. But it wasn't, not to him, not on this night.

You couldn't help but be reminded of some long-forgotten outrages in Chaney's career, when his quest for justice got in the way of his common sense. People who talk about the old man getting old really don't get it, because Chaney has been doing this stuff forever. If you closed your eyes last night, you could have been in Morgantown in the mid-1980s, with Chaney calling an official a "bleeping Jesse James.'' This really is back to the future, even if Nehemiah Ingram wasn't born when Chaney started pulling this stuff.

Injustice always has been his target, and outrage always has been his fuel - and the man does stand for great things. But there always has been this fear shared by the people who really like Chaney, that one of these moments would serve to trivialize a great and successful career.

Moments. Last night, Chaney was as wrong as he was unapologetic. Asked about the crudeness of Ingram's elbow-throwing, the man who sent him out there to play the goon said, "Yeah. We're just going to have to teach him how to do it a little bit better.''

Chaney is the biggest hypocrite. He has totally abused the game w/his lack of respect. THis isn't his first incident either. If this were Bobby Knight it would be Top story on Sportscenter but political correctness is well in health.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
02-24-2005 11:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BGSUalum1987 Offline
Noah's Dad

I Root For: BGSU!

I know that I'll get flamed for pointing this out, but the Daily News is a copyrighted publication and I'm certain they don't appreciate entire articles being posted on non-Knight Ridder Web sites.

Standard practice - quote and/or summary from the story and a link.
02-24-2005 11:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NMBobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

According to a story in the sports section of the Albuqueque Journal today, Chaney has suspended himself for the next game, and issued a personal and public apology to the players, coaches and fans at St. Joseph.

Not that totally atones for his behavior though.
02-24-2005 12:03 PM
Stick4489 Offline
Gaseous Clay

I Root For: The Herd

CrappiesCrappies

I think he's exactly right. He just shouldn't have said it out loud.
02-24-2005 12:13 PM
Papa Lou BSU Offline
1st String

I Root For:
CrappiesCrappies

Quote:THis isn't his first incident either. If this were Bobby Knight it would be Top story on Sportscenter but political correctness is well in health.

bull****. This was all over SportsCenter, first of all. Second of all, Knight's never had the decency to apologize for any of his antics or assaults over the years. At least Chaney recognized he was in the wrong here and took action.
02-24-2005 12:21 PM
UT1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

TMSU Strikes again!!!!!!!!!
02-24-2005 12:55 PM
Advertisement

connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Papa,

Your crazy if you think that Chaney was sorry for his actions and the self imposed suspension was not for self preservasion reasons. His actions sending in a player to hurt the St. Joes guys was beyond anything Knight ever did. I would suggest what Chaney did was closer to Woody Hayes but more cowardly Woody at least acted on his own behalf. In addition, Chaney two days earlier stated I'm gonna hurt someone if there are no calls for moving picks. Its one thing to go hard thru a pick and make someone pay, its another to tell a kid to knock the legs out of someone on a layup and hurt him w/great malice.

I'm not suggesting Knight was right, in fact he wasn't. Its just that hes the standard used for these type of situations.

If he did what Chaney did it would be much more blown up. Remember Chaney has a past, spuitting at fans of St. Joes, threatening to kill John Calipari, to name a few.

Chaney pulled out this suspension because he knew he was looking at a much stiffer fine and suspension if he didn't act first. Although I've always respected him, to send a kid out there, call him "my goon" ( putting the kid down) to hurt people againsat a less talented team that is kicking your #ss is flat out wrong. If Knight did that you would hear claims of racism calling a kid a goon and just evilness for sending a kid out there w/the sole purpose to hurt people. And rightfully so.

Its two differant standards. Both people should be condemned w/the same vigor.
02-24-2005 01:01 PM
Shrakk Offline
I bleed midnight blue

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!

I think this should be an issue that the NCAA steps in and handles. Have them impose the penalties, not that person so he can just do cosmetic penalties. This should not be tolerated at all.
02-24-2005 01:26 PM
templefootballfan Online
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX

read the article closely, so you can combrehend it.
02-24-2005 07:44 PM
Shrakk Offline
I bleed midnight blue

templefootballfan Wrote:read the article closely, so you can combrehend it.
I read it, as far as I "combrehend" it, the guy's a total nutcase. There is NO REASON for a coach to tell his players to go out and do that stuff which ultimately led to a player getting hurt(thank god it wasn't serious). I'm scared to see what would happen if he coached football, might see a little "The Last Boyscout" action.
02-24-2005 07:49 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

connerito Wrote:Your crazy if you think that Chaney was sorry for his actions and the self imposed suspension was not for self preservasion reasons. His actions sending in a player to hurt the St. Joes guys was beyond anything Knight ever did.
I'm sure Knight has sent in the goons plenty of times.....there were reports of him gooning his own players at practice.

The A-10 has always been a rough little basketball league. Chaney dishes it out but has to take a lot of it too. If it were not for the context of the Saint Joe's rivalry game. What he did by sending in his goon was dirty revenge but not illegal. This kind of stuff happens in every conference each year without much publicity.
02-24-2005 07:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ziplock Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Hey, I'll be suspending myself from this board for the next ten minutes or so and serve some time in my family penalty box.

This is based on my outrageous and egregious behavior and comments, particularly in relation to the posters who so disrespect the Zip nation.

For these past (and future) transgressions, I sincerely and earnestly apologize.
02-24-2005 08:45 PM
connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I played major college bball and you are right we are told no ez layups, get thru picks hard but what Chaney did was not only terrible but was cowardly. He had a kids legs taken out from him going up for a layup, he had an elbow thrown at a guys head. Chaney has lost it, much in the way Woody did. Therts a differance in playing hard and playing dirty, which is what Chaney advocated two days before instituting it.

Templefootballfan, keep drinking the kool aid and I hope you can find a competitive conferance, perhaps the patriot league, because the A10 fotball will eat you alive.
02-24-2005 09:08 PM
FtLauderdaleRocket Offline
Yet Another Florida Rocket

I Root For: Toledo

BGSUalum1987 Wrote:I know that I'll get flamed for pointing this out, but the Daily News is a copyrighted publication and I'm certain they don't appreciate entire articles being posted on non-Knight Ridder Web sites.

Standard practice - quote and/or summary from the story and a link.
Yep...here's a flame...did you not see this at the top?? You're not TMSU for nothing!!!

PHILLY DAILY NEWS

Posted on Wed, Feb. 23, 2005

Rich Hofmann | Miscarriage of justice

CHANEY MOCKS GAME WITH HIS GOON TACTICS
02-24-2005 09:42 PM
connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

John Bryant the guard for St. Joes that was struck by Chaneys "goon" has a broken arm and his career is over. I'm glad Chaney has that self impose 1 game suspension.

<a href='http://sjuhawks.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022405aaa.html' target='_blank'>http://sjuhawks.collegesports.com/sports/m.../022405aaa.html</a>
02-24-2005 10:30 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Frankly, John Chaney should have coached his last game. His comments this season have been over the top, out of line. You would have to suspect hardening of the arteries or something. No excuse for his actions the other night, and the fact that he defencded them shows that he no longer "gets it".
02-24-2005 11:48 PM
Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Bob Knight is a saint compared to John Chaney......:rolleyes:

1979:
Knight charged, tried and convicted in absentia for hitting a Puerto Rican policeman before a practice session at Pan American Games. Knight sentenced to six months in jail, but Puerto Rico government decided in 1987 to drop efforts to extradite him.

1980:
Knight fires a blank shot from a starter's pistol at Louisville Courier-Journal reporter Russ Brown. Knight said he did it "to keep from going nuts."

1981:
Knight and an LSU fan get into an altercation in Philadelphia during the Final Four. Knight shoves the fan into a garbage can.

1983:
Knight stands at midcourt and swears at Big Ten commissioner Wayne Duke over what Knight calls "the worst officiating I have seen in 12 years."

1985:
Tosses the chair across the court during a game vs. Purdue, nearly hitting people in the wheelchair section. Knight is ejected and suspended for one game by Big Ten commissioner Wayne Duke. Knight issues a statement apologizing for the incident.

1986:
Received a technical foul for shouting at the officials during a game against Illinois, then kicked a megaphone and chewed out the Indiana cheerleaders for disrupting a free throw attempt by Steve Alford.

1987:
Reprimanded by IU and fined $10,000 by the NCAA after he banged his fist into the scorer's table during an NCAA Tournament game vs. LSU. LSU coach Dale Brown is so incensed by Knight's action that he challenges the Indiana coach to a naked wrestling match.

1988:
In a television interview with Connie Chung, Knight said "If rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." Knight claims the quote was taken out of context.

1992:
Knight gives a mock whipping to Calbert Cheaney during practice at the NCAA West Regional in Albuquerque. Knight apologizes to anyone who attributed racial connotations to the incident.

1994:
Knight head-butts Sherron Wilkerson while screaming at him on the bench. Knight says it was unintentional.

1998:
In an ESPN interview with Digger Phelps, Knight accuses referees of being the most likely to be involved in gambling on games: "The most susceptible guy in any gambling scheme is an official, without any question. I mean, if we only knew the truth about games that were controlled by officials having gambling interests, I think it would be amazing."

1999:
Knight is accosted by a diner in a restaurant after Knight supposedly made an offensive comment. The diner says Knight put him in a chokehold, but the Monroe County Prosecutor decided not to file charges because Knight may have been provoked.

Knight accidentally shoots hunting partner in the back and is cited for failing to report the incident and hunting without a license in Wisconsin.

Longtime assistant Ron Felling leaves the program to pursue other interests, according to an Indiana news release. Felling, who had been with the program since 1985, was not available for comment at the time of his resignation. Indiana officials later confirm that the resignation was a firing, coming five days after Knight allegedly threw Felling out of a chair because the assistant was criticizing the program to a former IU player over the phone.

2000:
Former player Ricky Calloway accuses Knight of physical abuse in an interview with the Houston Chronicle.

Excerpts from "Born to Believe," a book written by former player and current Toronto Raptors coach Butch Carter, include claims that Knight used racial slur during a tirade aimed at a black player. According to Carter, Knight stormed into the locker room after a practice and chewed out another player, saying he would end up like "all the rest of the n------ in Chicago, including your brothers." Carter also describes Knight as a "bully" and a "self-serving coward."

On the eve of the NCAA Tournament, CNN/SI releases a report in which former players Neil Reed and Richard Mandeville accuse Knight of choking Reed during a practice in 1997. Other accusations include Knight's use of soiled toilet paper as a motivational device during halftime of one game, and of throwing Indiana president Myles Brand out of practice. A videotape is later released showing Knight choking Reed for 2.3 seconds. Former assistant Ron Felling is accused of leaking the footage.

The trustees' investigation reportedly unveils new allegations involving Knight -- that he physically intimidated the 64-year-old secretary of athletics director Clarence Doninger, injured his son Tim in a 1994 altercation, attacked assistant coach Ron Felling and choked and punched IU's longtime sports information director, Kit Klingelhoffer, in the 1970s over a news release that upset the coach.

Indiana president Myles Brand announces a zero-tolerance policy regarding Bob Knight on May 15, concluding a seven-week investigation into the coach's behavior. The policy contains a code of conduct Knight must follow for him to keep his job. Knight is also suspended for three games, must pay a $30,000 fine and apologize to those he has offended in the past.

Bob Knight is accused of grabbing a freshman student at Indiana by the arm and cursing at him Sept. 7. University officials have asked for a police investigation of the matter. According to the student's stepfather, Mark Shaw, the student and four others were waiting to pick up football tickets when the student saw Knight and yelled, "Hey, what's up Knight?" Shaw said Knight grabbed his stepson by the right arm, whirled him around and began cursing him out for disrespecting him by addressing the coach by his last name.

With Indiana University president Myles Brand citing a "pattern of unacceptable behavior," Bob Knight was fired as the head basketball coach on Sept. 10. Brand said the latest publicized issue, that of Knight grabbing a student in Assembly Hall, alone did not lead to the firing, but rather the pattern of behavior even after Knight agreed to a zero-tolerance policy in May. Knight, who has been the Hoosiers head coach since 1971, was offered a chance to resign, but did not take it.

2001:
In the March issue of Playboy magazine, Knight says his only regret is not leaving Indiana sooner. Knight continues to call university officials "deceitful" four months after he was fired. "I talked to some people and almost without exception they told me to leave," Knight said in a 12-page interview which hit newsstands Feb. 5. "What I did in this situation was think about the wrong things. When I quit coaching, I envisioned being able to stay around the university, to help in any way they asked."

Knight, never shy about offering his opinions, is hired in February an Internet company to post his NCAA basketball tournament picks online. A Reston, Va.-based Internet company, Sandbox.com, pays Knight roughly $50,000 to pick the winners of the 64-team field.

<a href='http://espn.go.com/ncb/s/knighttimeline.html' target='_blank'>http://espn.go.com/ncb/s/knighttimeline.html</a>
02-25-2005 01:39 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Temple ought to fire him... PERIOD.
02-25-2005 08:27 AM
connerito Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Posted on Fri, Feb. 25, 2005

Hawks' Bryant may be done

The St. Joseph's senior suffered a broken forearm in a controversial game against Temple on Tuesday.

By Ray Parrillo

Inquirer Staff Writer

St. Joseph's cocaptain John Bryant, a 6-foot-7 senior forward whose hustle, leadership and defensive prowess have contributed significantly to the Hawks' success the last two seasons, may have had his college career ended because of an injury he suffered during the controversial second half of Tuesday's 63-56 win at Temple.

Bryant suffered a non-displaced fracture at the top of his right forearm near his elbow when he was fouled and pushed hard to the floor by Temple's Nehemiah Ingram, the player John Chaney inserted to retaliate for what the coach perceived as illegal screens by the Hawks.

He is expected to miss at least three to four weeks, which would make him unavailable for the final three games of the regular season, including Senior Day on March 5, and the Atlantic Ten Conference tournament, which begins March 9 in Cincinnati. The standard recovery for such an injury is eight to 10 weeks.

Bryant's injury was diagnosed after he had an MRI yesterday. X-rays taken Wednesday were inconclusive.

Bryant was fouled after making a layup that gave St. Joe's a 45-34 lead with 11 minutes, 22 seconds remaining in the game. The 6-8, 250-pound Ingram, a seldom-used player, shoved Bryant to the floor in front of the Temple student section. While he was down, Bryant was spat upon by some in the student section and booed when he got up. Ingram, who committed five fouls in four minutes of play, including a technical foul, almost incited a brawl as he threw his elbows around, connecting with the Hawks' Dwayne Jones and Pat Carroll.

Chaney, who on Monday threatened to put a "goon" into the game if the officials allowed St. Joe's to use illegal screens, or moving picks, to free up its shooters, issued an apology and self-imposed one-game suspension for tomorrow's game against Massachusetts. After Tuesday's game, Chaney tried to justify his action, saying "I wanted him [Ingram] to put forth some illegal screens just like they were."

When told that Bryant had been injured Tuesday night, Chaney responded, "That's what happens. That's what happens. I'm a mean, ornery SOB, you understand?"

Kitcat,
Bobby Knight is no saint, but he never used a tool of the game to exert an injury on another. I've never seen an account where Booby Knight told a player to hit a guy when he made a lay up, ultimately ending that kids career.

If Booby Knight did this there would News programs directly emphasizing this for 1 hour specials. John Chaney who has a past not so unlike Knight ( but not publicized the same: I grew up in Philly) is granted special privelages because of the pc that is prevelant. Differant standards for differant people. Remember Bobby Knight got fired. John Chaney played Judge and Jury w/his own penalty. And noone questions it.
02-25-2005 10:59 AM
Shrakk Offline
I bleed midnight blue

<a href='http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8226522' target='_blank'>http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketbal...l/story/8226522</a>

another article that may carry a little more weight with some. It's ridiculous reading the Temple boards, they're all sticking up for chaney saying that it was all the refs fault and equating sending someone in and injuring someone to an illegal screen. Sorry, not quite having your feet planted is no where near the same as taking someone's legs out and ultimately ending their career.
02-25-2005 12:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.