Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who is your Back up QB?
Bookmark and Share
Santa Fe Falcon Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

We know that QB is a risky position from an injury standpoint. In all likelihood, several MAC teams will have to turn to their back up QB at some point in the season.

Who is the back up QB on your team? Also, how well would he be able to step up and keep your team from losing a lot of offensive power?

In the case of BG, the back up QB to Omar Jacobs is Anthony Turner. He is a red shirt Freshman so he has yet to take a snap in a regular season game.

He is a highly regarded prospect who is expected to be a good dual threat QB. In BG's Spring game, he threw for 4 TDs. After Turner we might have to turn to a true Freshman.

BG coach Brandon has a history of providing back up QBs solid game time experience. So I'm expecting to see Turner play early in the season, maybe even against Wisconsin.

I haven't heard much about other back up QBs in the MAC. Can some fans fill us in about your team?
08-20-2005 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chris4rockets Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Toledo's backup is Clint Cochran, didn't play last year but I heard he was good. Another one is John Goosbly, didn't play last year eaither. And our 2nd string QB is Marques Council but I couldn't find him on the UT roster at their website, He is ok, didn't do much in the Motor City Bowl last year so hopefully Bruce can stay healthy.
08-20-2005 01:10 PM
chris4rockets Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Marques Council stats from 2004 according to UT 2005 Football Media Guide:

G/S:10/0 Att.:48 Com.:27 Ptc.:56.2 Yds:315 TD:1 Int.:2
08-20-2005 01:15 PM
chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Backup QB for the Chippewas is Brian Brunner, RS Fr from Wisconsin. He has some learning to do, but from what I saw at the Spring Game, and from what I hear from the Fall Camp, he is progressing well. He has a better arm than Kent Smith, and I think he will be a capable replacement if needed.
08-20-2005 01:18 PM
chris4rockets Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

chipfan Wrote:Backup QB for the Chippewas is Brian Brunner, RS Fr from Wisconsin. He has some learning to do, but from what I saw at the Spring Game, and from what I hear from the Fall Camp, he is progressing well. He has a better arm than Kent Smith, and I think he will be a capable replacement if needed.
Hey Chipfan isn't Kent Smith from Toledo, OH?
08-20-2005 01:20 PM
Advertisement

Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!

chris4rockets Wrote:
chipfan Wrote:Backup QB for the Chippewas is Brian Brunner, RS Fr from Wisconsin.  He has some learning to do, but from what I saw at the Spring Game, and from what I hear from the Fall Camp, he is progressing well.  He has a better arm than Kent Smith, and I think he will be a capable replacement if needed.
Hey Chipfan isn't Kent Smith from Toledo, OH?
Yes...Start Grad...BTW - I think it was reported in another thread that Council either is quitting or will be ineligible.
08-20-2005 01:50 PM
GoCats Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

Ohio's backup QB is Mike Petruziello. I've heard a lot of good things about him. His injury during his Junior year alowed Ohio to jump in and grab him. He was redshirted last year.

Quote:A two-time first team All-Ohio selection in Division III... named Player of the Year by the Lake County News-Herald and the Lake County Touchdown Club... was the Lake Geneva Player of the Year by the Cleveland Plain Dealer and the Cleveland Touchdown Club... earned Most Valuable Player and Player of the Year honors for the North Coast League... led the Cougars to the 2001 state championship, setting the record for passing yards (278) en route to Most Valuable Player honors... passed for 5,199 yards and rushed for 2,536 over three-year career... threw 45 touchdown passes and ran for 30... totaled 2,598 yards and 24 touchdowns through the air and 1,091 yards and eight scores on the ground as a senior... sat out most of junior season due to injury... also lettered in baseball (three) and basketball (two).
08-20-2005 02:20 PM
rocketfootball Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Clint Cochran is #2 on the depth chart at Toledo and playing very well. He redshirted last year so still has 4 years. Marques Council is currently not practicing with the team. His status is still not certain.
08-20-2005 02:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
darkhelmet Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Buffalo Bulls

The better thing to ask at UB would be: "Who is your starting QB?"... I hope somebody steps up this year... 03-banghead
08-20-2005 03:05 PM
Advertisement

Phillystile Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UB, UMass

at UB we don't have backup QB's. we call them relief pitchers.
08-20-2005 03:35 PM
klingon288 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Buffalo
Crappies

Phillystile Wrote:at UB we don't have backup QB's.  we call them relief pitchers.
I'm hoping for the day I can worry about the quality of UB's BACK-UP quarterbacks. 03-banghead
08-20-2005 04:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl

Britt Davis
08-20-2005 04:21 PM
Quote this message in a reply
chris4rockets Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Redwingtom Wrote:Hey Chipfan isn't Kent Smith from Toledo, OH?
Yes...Start Grad...BTW - I think it was reported in another thread that Council either is quitting or will be ineligible. [/quote]
Thank you.
08-20-2005 04:24 PM
Advertisement

delflash Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Kent State

Kent State's backup QB is Tom Sitko. This is from the KSU web site:

2004: Saw action in a reserve role in opener at Iowa, completing 1-of-4 passes for nine yards before suffering a season-ending knee injury. 2003: Was redshirted • Helped run the scout team offense.

Prior to Kent State: Passed for 1,283 yards with 14 touchdowns and ran for 677 with eight scores as a senior at Archbishop Hoban High School • Led the Knights to a 12-2 record and the state semifinals that season • Earned all-state recognition and also was an all-county and all-district selection • Was the first-team all-state punter in Division III • Was a team co-captain and its most valuable player his senior year • Threw for at least 900 yards in each of his three seasons as a starter • For his career, had more than 3,000 yards passing and 1,000 rushing • Accounted for 45 touchdowns (31 passing, 14 rushing) • Earned three letters in football and two in track.

Kent's starter is a 6'6" 23 year old sophomore who has been on the Alabama football roster and pitched in the minor leagues, Michael Machen. He will be integral to Kent State's success this season.
08-20-2005 05:40 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC

For EMU: Good ?

We have numbers at QB but our 2nd string is unproven. Presumably redshirt Tyler Jones, a very good runner, etc. - not sure of his arm.

LOT of good true frosh QBs.

Word out of Ypsi is that our new WRs, RBs, LBs, etc. are looking really good.

Haven't heard about our frosh QBs - think we have 3 or 4. (BTW, this year is obviously Matt Bohnet's senior year and we need to find the one QB among Jones, Schmitt, Campbell, etc. who will go into spring ball next year looking to win the job for '06).
08-20-2005 06:15 PM
westernwilly Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU and Army

chipfan Wrote:Backup QB for the Chippewas is Brian Brunner, RS Fr from Wisconsin. He has some learning to do, but from what I saw at the Spring Game, and from what I hear from the Fall Camp, he is progressing well. He has a better arm than Kent Smith, and I think he will be a capable replacement if needed.
We like to think of Brian as our back up also, for we plan on catching a lot of his passes. : 03-lol

Just kidding. I can't help myself when it comes to jabbing at CMU.
I love our rivalry and am looking forward to the Chips coming to Kalamazoo.
08-20-2005 07:12 PM
OUBOBCATJOHN Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats

Ohio has zero experience behind Everson. As far as a loss of power to the offense, we would be in serious trouble. Without a great ground game to fall back on the offense would be very limited. In 2006, QB will be a strength for Ohio with Illinois tranfer Brad Bowen, Everson, and Petruziello as 1,2, and 3. Solich also has a couple of freshman from this year's recruiting class who could move into those slots. Combined with good young receivers, Ohio will have the ability to do damage in the air in 2006.
08-20-2005 07:39 PM
Advertisement

MUNADA Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

If you go by the latest.... the back-up for Betts is Mike Kokal with Josh Elliot close behind. Mike gets majority of snaps with second unit...
08-20-2005 10:52 PM
chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:

WesternWilly;

Brunner had connections to the Browncow program since one of your "more intelligent" :eek: supporters actually was posting to him on a web board while he was in high school, trying to convince him to not enroll at CMU. That was a classy move.
08-21-2005 07:51 AM
KSUDan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kent State

delflash Wrote:Kent State's backup QB is Tom Sitko. This is from the KSU web site:

2004: Saw action in a reserve role in opener at Iowa, completing 1-of-4 passes for nine yards before suffering a season-ending knee injury. 2003: Was redshirted • Helped run the scout team offense.

Prior to Kent State: Passed for 1,283 yards with 14 touchdowns and ran for 677 with eight scores as a senior at Archbishop Hoban High School • Led the Knights to a 12-2 record and the state semifinals that season • Earned all-state recognition and also was an all-county and all-district selection • Was the first-team all-state punter in Division III • Was a team co-captain and its most valuable player his senior year • Threw for at least 900 yards in each of his three seasons as a starter • For his career, had more than 3,000 yards passing and 1,000 rushing • Accounted for 45 touchdowns (31 passing, 14 rushing) • Earned three letters in football and two in track.

Kent's starter is a 6'6" 23 year old sophomore who has been on the Alabama football roster and pitched in the minor leagues, Michael Machen. He will be integral to Kent State's success this season.
I believe that a FR QB named jon Brown got a decent amount of snaps in a scrimmage, but Sitko is #2. That could be scary being that he is coming off of a torn ACL. He has some talent though.

Bottom line, it appears that if any MAC team were to lose their starting QB, they could be in a lot of trouble.
08-22-2005 12:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.