Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

McMurphy: ACC to start "Success Incentive Initiative" in 2024
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
RE: McMurphy: ACC to start "Success Incentive Initiative" in 2024
(05-31-2023 07:13 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(05-28-2023 07:30 AM)Jhawkinva Wrote:  I'm not sure Kansas would've moved to the ACC at that time, unless they had heard a clear and unequivocal 'no' from the Big Ten.

To me, some of the ACC's issues go back to their early 2010s expansion.

The ACC won the war with the Big East when they took Miami, VT, and Boston College.

Pitt and Syracuse are fine schools, but it never made sense to add schools that were less attractive than the average ACC school.

Had they not made that move, they could be looking at a better future.

BC was a terrible add. Maybe in hindsight, but why did they have to add such an extreme outlier? Why would southern schools want to go there every year? Was it because of BBall as well? Just an awful addition.

Obviously, ND wasn’t coming. They wanted the CCG. I think Pitt/WVU were the most logical adds, but it should have started with Pitt (because WVU academics were unacceptable even though they took VaTech who wasn’t exactly on par with UVa academically), which would have destabilized the BE even more than BC.

Both programs were good, but Pitt would have started pushing schools like Rutgers, perhaps even UConn, closer to the ACC rather than the B1G, as they got more competitive in football.

Miami wanted BC, and at the time Miami was a very commanding presence believe it or not.

The ACC did not want #12. I’m sure even the dinosaur Big Ten voted against a conference with 11 teams sponsoring a CCG despite the fact it would benefit them as well.

West Virginia would have been a decent geographical #12 considering SC wasn’t coming back—not that we ever asked—but there wasn’t any interest. William & Mary would have been a natural #12 if they were allowed to expand their football stadium in the late 70’s.
05-31-2023 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: McMurphy: ACC to start "Success Incentive Initiative" in 2024 - esayem - 05-31-2023 09:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.