Jhawkinva Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kansas
RE: McMurphy: ACC to start "Success Incentive Initiative" in 2024
(05-27-2023 06:44 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(05-27-2023 09:16 AM)PicksUp Wrote:  
(05-27-2023 09:11 AM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 05:53 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(05-26-2023 05:34 AM)GarnetAndBlue Wrote:  There are going to be a lot of NO votes for any addition at this point. Which would make things very interesting.

No one cares much about the institutional aspect, especially when it’s not a major football or basketball brand that’s on the other side of the continent.

Rest assured that university leaders care very much about 'the institutional aspect.'

We're all here using an Internet that exists because of research conducted in significant part at West Coast universities.

If you're an ACC president, and you see a chance to enable regular contacts for your students with research communities engaged in work like that, you schedule the meeting. You don't yawn and scratch your armpit and say 'I dunno. How's the basketball?'

After the formal separation of the P2 (with the announced expansions of OUT and USCLA) there has been a weird self-destructive bias by some ACC fans. The realization that the long media contract favors ESPN has really embittered these discussions…so much so that leaving or dissolving the ACC is seen as the only viable approach.

IMHO - Expansion with KU &/or TCU in the summer 2021 was an opportunity lost for the ACC. Expansion with PAC programs would be larger and risky, but I hope that the recent move to unequal revenue sharing is a step in rebuilding confidence that positive changes can still take place.

How exactly would adding those programs have made FSU, Clemson and Miami happy? 50-60m per year? A raise of a couple million? Again, TCU and Kansas werent saving the PAC. They werent saving the ACC either.
TCU improves ACC football and gets ESPN/ACCN into Texas. Kansas is a basketball blue blood. Overall, it helps the ACC and ESPN.

I'm not sure Kansas would've moved to the ACC at that time, unless they had heard a clear and unequivocal 'no' from the Big Ten.

To me, some of the ACC's issues go back to their early 2010s expansion.

The ACC won the war with the Big East when they took Miami, VT, and Boston College.

Pitt and Syracuse are fine schools, but it never made sense to add schools that were less attractive than the average ACC school.

Had they not made that move, they could be looking at a better future.
05-28-2023 07:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: McMurphy: ACC to start "Success Incentive Initiative" in 2024 - Jhawkinva - 05-28-2023 07:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.