Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Football coaching staff is complete
(03-24-2023 05:20 PM)CoachPMac Wrote:  
(03-24-2023 04:45 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  
(03-24-2023 04:07 PM)CoachPMac Wrote:  
(03-24-2023 02:31 PM)BigChilla Wrote:  
(03-24-2023 12:41 PM)niu1980 Wrote:  You have to be right because you said so. You are obviously an expert. Thank God for message boards so you can share your expertise.

No I am right because that’s what’s happening. He has very few useful connections. This is a D1 program and he can’t fill the staff by spring? Is it because he has too many candidates?

I’m not an NIU fan, but I do enjoy MAC football and admittedly follow and pull for Akron since Joe Moorhead’s arrival. I watched the Zips before Moorhead, but could hardly finish out a game due the talent deficiency versus every other FBS team. My point in saying that is I have “no dog in this fight” but I have to agree that NIU is heading in the wrong direction. Outside of a few players, the 2023 class is probably the worst in the MAC.

When I watched Akron vs NIU last year, I saw the Zips whip NIU along the lines of scrimmage. NIU had the slowest defense I’d seen all year. Maybe NIU was beat up by that point? If not, that’s a real concern and I don’t see many, if any, players in this year’s recruiting class making a big difference. Undercuffler was the backup for Akron, not nearly as physically gifted as Irons, and still managed over 300 yards passing. Akron also had the worst rushing team in the MAC and rolled up 200 yards on the ground. To add insult to injury, Akron’s cornerbacks were probably the worst in the MAC and held NIU to 172 yards passing.

Recruiting is usually a good indicator where a program is headed. Most pundits were surprised by the success of South Carolina, Illinois, UCONN, and New Mexico State last year. They shouldn’t have been if they’ve been paying attention. Same could be said about Akron this year.

Take it for what it’s worth from an outsider looking in and follows recruiting closely. Feel free to disagree. I’m here for the discussion.

Interesting. Though, it must be said, there are a lot of other factors besides just recruiting physically talented players. Where is their head, how are they coached, how do they develop, what schemes do they play in, who are the opponents, how do injuries affect the team. Those are just a few other factors. Some are under the control or at least influence of the head coach, and others only s lightly or even not at all.

We could also add culture, NIL, facilities, academics, training staff, etc, etc, etc. In the end it’s simple. The more dynamic and explosive players that are recruited the better chance of success. From there the players need to be developed. Everything else is an excuse of why the team or program isn’t winning. Only so many “diamond in the rough” type players can be in each class before there’s mostly just “rough” left.

While I adamantly agree with what you're saying as far as NIU's recruiting, the "diamonds" are usually a bit of luck. Many of the greatest NIU players looked like nothing in their recruit class. I'd argue most MAC teams are comprised of the same talent for roughly 80% of their starters. It's those 20% of remaining players that become diamonds that make the difference btw winning and losing. NIU's issue is that it has found zero diamonds on D. Zero. And it's crippling. Those star players elevate everyone. A great rush end from one side helps free up the rusher on the other side. A great cover corner can force a QB to look mostly in one direction. Etc.

That being said, is NIU's inability to find diamonds on D rooted in Hammocks recruiting philosophy? Is he going after the wrong type players in terms of high athletic upside vs established size? Maybe. Has he recruited a diamond but not found the right position or scheme? Maybe. At this point our best bet is Hammock just dumb lucks his way into finding a Sutton Smith or Shawn Lurry.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2023 05:46 PM by Rabid Squirrel.)
03-24-2023 05:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Football coaching staff is complete - Rabid Squirrel - 03-24-2023 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.