Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What will the Pac-12 do?
Stay at 10.
Add Gonzaga.
Add SDSU and SMU.
Add Gonzaga, SDSU, and SMU.
[Show Results]

Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward.
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
RE: Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward.
(01-18-2023 02:50 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(01-18-2023 02:20 AM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 07:13 PM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 05:14 PM)Skyhawk Wrote:  
(01-17-2023 01:54 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Still think the Big 12 and Pac should merge. Yes that gives them 22, but I still think they lose 4 more in the future bringing it down to 18.

I think it's do-able, but I think there may be some issues to resolve.

1.) Is the B10 done expanding?

2.) Does the SEC want Kansas and/or another Texas school or two?

3.) Is the ACC interested in Cin, WV, and UCF? And would they want to go if invited?

3.) The question of Cal and Stanford, and religious schools like BYU and Baylor.

4.) If no one is poached, should they add 2 more schools for 24? And if so, which 2?

5.) What about Gonzaga?

Personally, for my answers to those questions - I think that, if the ACC saw a merge happening, then that might be a good time to invite Cin, WV, and UCF. (and either USF or Memphis for 4).

I also think Stanford and Cal would try again for the B10, but I think only Stanford would get an invite - probably paired with Kansas.

Cal could join the BigWest for non-football, and only the football team would then join the merged conference.

The SEC - with Kansas off the table and probably not wanting more than maybe 1 more Texas school - would likely decide to focus on the ACC, and then work out the deal with the ACC and espn, to get the votes for FSU and Clemson to join the SEC.

Then the merged conference could add SDSU and Gonzaga

The results:

Big 10 - 18
adds Kansas and Stanford

SEC - 18
adds FSU and Clemson

ACC - 16+ND
loses FSU and Clemson
adds Cincinnati, WV, UCF, and either USF or Memphis

B12-PAC - 17 (+1+1)
WA
WSU
Gonzaga - non-fb
OR
OSU
Cal - fb only
SDSU
AZ state
AZ
BYU
Utah
Colorado
KS state
IA state
OK state
TCU
Texas Tech
Baylor
Houston

Will this happen? I dunno - it's a lot of moving parts and a lot of people would not only have to agree, but also be willing to vote for parts of this at several stages of decision-making.

But all-in-all I think it would be a good end-result for all involved.

The issue with a debate of "KU or Cal" is that the B1G would not reach unanimity on either. KU is better overall athletically, but unless basketball becomes a LOT more important then their athletic superiority won't be enough to over Berkeley's Academics. It might not split the vote right down the middle, but I could see something like:

UW - 16 votes in favor
UO - 14 votes
Stanford - 13 votes
KU - 9 votes
Cal - 7 votes

What do they do then? Just add 3? Leave out UO or Stanford? Add 6 with an ACC school? My gut says they'd go with 2 or 4, then perhaps another 2 or 4 in a decade, but I'm unsure.

You make it sound like these votes are in a vacuum.

Schools talk.

So things can be decided, then a vote happens to make it "official".

Based on a public statement by the Cal governors, neither Cal, nor a package of Cal plus WA, OR, and Stanford, is getting invited.

There may be hope for individuals, but it's not sounding positive for Oregon. And if no OR, do they still invite WA, as an island unto itself?

As for Kansas, they seem to be doing the things that one does to get an invite.

So yes, I think it's Kansas and Stanford. With WA and OR, possible, but less likely.

But who knows.

Whatever the case, I think the next few months should be interesting.

If Oregon isn't getting an invite, then Kansas is really far away. I wouldn't say never on Kansas, but unless and until basketball becomes more important, Kansas is just a poor man's Missouri. If things change in the future then Kansas will still be there. As will Oregon, Stanford, etc for that matter. As I said when Warren left, the B1G is done for now. They might look at things again before 2030, but 2036 will probably be the next big move by either of the P2.

Not if the SEC decides to invite them...
01-18-2023 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Realistic options for Pac-12 going forward. - Skyhawk - 01-18-2023 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.