Bookmark and Share
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
RE: CUSA Basketball 2022-2023 Season Thread
(12-28-2022 06:06 PM)XYZ Wrote:  
(12-28-2022 05:58 PM)XYZ Wrote:  
(12-28-2022 05:26 PM)Dusky Wrote:  
(12-28-2022 02:05 PM)Engblazr Wrote:  
(12-23-2022 11:51 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Whose hoops gym is better, FIU or FAU ?

FIU’s is substantially larger (5,000 vs 2,900) although they have a similar design. FIU was more creative with the darker color scheme and how they “decorated” it. They’ve made it look very cool. Sunset murals, a super cool court design, and dim lighting except on the court. Some small changes FAU should probably mimic to make it not look like a straight up high school

We received a 7.5M donation strictly for the arena (gym) plus another 5M that I believe can go towards it as well. I was told there were going to be substantial changes but no details yet. I think it is lipstick on a pig but there is no way we are coming up with a couple hundred million for a new arena regardless of what some posters on here like to believe. Typically those comments come from people who don't donate a penny or even attend the games.

Why have peer universities (Georgia State recently and UCF in 2007 which was funded when they were still in the ASUN) been able to get it done? UCF and GSU both played in similar high school gyms when they were conference mates with FIU and FAU in the TAAC/ASUN but have upgraded. Not to mention most of the conference mates in CUSA and now the AAC that have had far better arenas for decades. If they can do it why can’t programs like FAU, FIU, or UTSA get it done?

A big issue is that these programs are significantly limiting their potential in basketball and their ability to compete in recruiting or draw more fan interest long term if they don’t get better arenas. They are just wasting time even putting any money into basketball. A similar argument could be made in baseball. FAU has been a relatively strong program in baseball but won’t be able to host regionals or really allow their program to become a factor nationally without better facilities.

A part of the problem is that FAU has been building a whole lot of athletic infrastructure on the campus in the last two-three years. We have really splurged on a pretty nice athletic center (I brought my oldest for an orientation last Summer - it looked really nice). In addition to that we spent a bit on the scoreboard at the gym and some field facilities for Olympic sports. Money will not be a problem eventually, but not right at this moment.
12-29-2022 12:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CUSA Basketball 2022-2023 Season Thread - goliath74 - 12-29-2022 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.