All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
RE: 2022-23 Football Coaching Carousel
(12-07-2022 02:24 PM)Ourland Wrote:  
(12-07-2022 03:11 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(12-06-2022 06:56 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(12-06-2022 01:26 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(12-06-2022 01:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  So we are hiring people who come in saying, winning isn't important, I'm only here for the checks?
Not buying it.
In any case, losing eventually costs people their jobs.
I don't think you realize just how dysfunctional the Rice athletic department as been.
I did a fair amount of bankruptcy work over 20 years, and you see some pretty dysfunctional organizations doing bankruptcy, but I never saw one as bad as Rice athletics.
No question it was dysfunctional for a 45+ year period. Karlgaard certainly has his negatives, but he did bring the athletic department into the 21st century. It's no longer dysfunctional. He has brought financial discipline and analytics into the fold.

So they shuffle papers better than they used to, but in the three money sports they haven't fielded a competitive team in years. I'd call that still dysfunctional, just in a different way.

Kind of like asking Mrs. Lincoln if the play was any good.

03-lmfao

Numbers stop!

Seriously though, I have heard that things are much better within the athletics department as far as functionality is concerned. IMO, what makes us so frustrated isn't 'dysfunction,' it's Rice's refusal to go 'all in' in men's athletics, but when I really think about it, I don't want Rice to act like everyone else. I like that there are rigid parameters that aren't to be challenged. Rice does things the right way. In the end, football really doesn't matter. That fact is lost on 90% of the FBS schools.

What we need is a great coaching hire. That's the most important variable. JK must make a great hire when Bloomgren is gone. Winning is possible at Rice because we have seen it uhappen before (Bailiff). Winning will never happen as often as we like, but winning is possible.

There is no all in. What there is at best is a not quite semi sorta half ass....
12-07-2022 07:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2022-23 Football Coaching Carousel - texowl2 - 12-07-2022 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.