Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2022 College Football Season Thread
Bookmark and Share
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread
(10-22-2022 07:42 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  How embarrassing was that "crowd" for Tulsa @ Temple last night on national TV? ESPN worked hard not to show the empty seats but it was unavoidable in certain camera angles.

I know, the Phillies were hosting a playoff game nearby and neither team is going anywhere in the AAC race this season but Temple has had a long history of poor attendance. It got the Owls booted from football-only membership years ago in the old Big East.

Thankfully for UC fans, scenes such as that of life in the AAC are about to appear in our rear view mirror...forever. It makes me appreciate all the more what game day is now like on our campus.

I don't disagree but I think you have to take certain things into account...
1) The Phillies were playing in Game 3 of the NLCS, a series that went into the game tied up at 1-1. That alone, would have put a serious dent in the attendance, especially as the Phillies have sucked in recent memory and suddenly they are playing for the NL pennant.

2) The Phills were not playing "nearby" but literally across the street. The Linc and Citizen's Ballpark share parking lots. And the Phills game was sold out. So you can imagine the mess down there just with ONE game going on. And not only that, I was told on the main, conference board, that the Wells Fargo Arena...which also shares parking with the two other stadiums, was hosting a Smashing Pumpkins concert at the same time. So, you had THREE events, all with exactly the same ingress and egress and sharing parking, going on at the same time. I can't imagine the traffic issues. That would also put a dent into even a serious fan base's attendance.

3) It's Tulsa...the smallest of the FBS level schools, and a school that doesn't have an appreciable alumni or fan base on the East Coast. (Do that have an appreciable alumni or fan-base anywhere??? They can't even sell out their own, reduced capacity stadium.) So, you're relying purely on Temple fans to attend this game.

I'm not excusing the paltry attendance. When I tried to "pull the chain" on the main board by saying "dozens of fans" would be in attendance, the Temple folks told me that even that was optimistic. This was NEVER going to be a "high attendance" game, no matter what, but circumstances conspired to make it a real problem. UC has run into similar issues like when we played down at PBS and had the Reds (and OctoberFest downtown) playing in the playoffs at the same time. And that was with PBS and GAPB not sharing ingress/egress and parking.

And lets not forget we're dragging Houston along...and their fans are among the most fickle and fair-weathered in the Conference. Even with a relatively nice and new OCS, Houston fans don't need an excuse to stay away.

But, yeah...I'm glad to put this whole mess behind us as well.

10-22-2022 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2022 College Football Season Thread - BearcatJerry - 10-22-2022 08:31 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.