Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Would WKU + MTSU leaving deliver a kill shot to C-USA as an FBS league?
Milwaukee Offline
All American

I Root For: many teams
RE: Would WKU + MTSU leaving deliver a kill shot to C-USA as an FBS league?
(06-16-2022 06:50 AM)WKUApollo Wrote:  
(06-16-2022 01:34 AM)Milwaukee Wrote:  .

The CUSA is going to struggle with WKU & MTSU, so it would struggle to an even greater extent without them unless they the conference were to make a bold move and bring in new members with national visibility (e.g., UConn FB, UMass FB, NDSU FB, S. Dak. State FB, and matching basketball (non-FB) members).

I know your intent is to pimp the Dakotas and that's OK but CUSA 4.0 is gonna surprise lots of folks. All nine schools care about basketball (Rare at the G5 level) and several have legit basketball pedigrees...UTEP, WKU, NMSU are perrenially successful and even MTSU, Liberty, and LaTech have a good hsitory. SHSU, FIU, and JaxSt hold their own as well.

In football, LaTech, WKU, MTSU, and Liberty would finish well in any G5 conference year after year. That's a solid core. SHSU & JaxSt are successful FCS callups and UTEp went bowling last year so they may have turned the corner. No longer will CUSA be bottom heavy.

I realize there will be a flood of SBC fans, as they always do, come here to slam my analysis because as we all know, the SBC with their 4 or 5 good teams and 9 or 10 bottom feeders is the next best thing since sliced bread.

Mark my words, CUSA 4.0 will be fine unless we make the mistake the SBC just did and over expand.

I see CUSA 4.0 finishing 3rd or 4th out of 5 G5's on a regular basis. It may take a year or two for SHSU and JaxSt to get on their feet (and I wouldn't be surprised if they're successful out of the gate) but altho adding the Dakotas for football might prop up CUSA 4.0 a little in football, it would likely result in further flight. , especially from WKU, MTSU, and maybe LaTech if they have other options.

It's true that the CUSA has a core of quality programs.

My main concern is their broadcasting arrangements, or the lack thereof. Closely related to that is the diminutive size of the conference. I don't expect the CUSA to dissolve, mainly because it seems likely that the FCS-to-FBS influx will continue at its recent historical pace (about 5-10 new FBS programs per decade or nearly 1 new FBS program per year, on average).

The reason why I keep pushing the two Dakota schools is that - - while the conference does have a solid core group of programs - - the short list of football expansion schools that has been discussed (Tarleton, EKU, SFAU, Kennesaw) seems somewhat unimpressive.
06-16-2022 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Would WKU + MTSU leaving deliver a kill shot to C-USA as an FBS league? - Milwaukee - 06-16-2022 08:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.