Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021-22 College Basketball Season General Thread
Bookmark and Share
levydl Online
All American

I Root For:
RE: 2021-22 College Basketball Season General Thread
(04-04-2022 08:18 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I think this is true for both ex-"Significant Others" and Coaches:

"Your ex is your ex for usually good reasons."

Sometimes those "reasons" have to do with your ex. Other times those "reasons" have to do with you. Almost always, those "reasons" have to do with both.

Sean Miller LEFT Xavier for "reasons." He was an ambitious coach "on the way up," Xavier was "too small" and "didn't pay him,"...whatever. But he LEFT them. I'm just going to say that those reasons haven't really changed all that much. Miller, on the other hand, ain't the same guy he was when he was at Xavier the first time...he's older, he has a "record" now (literally). Not to mention the game has changed; some of the basic shenanigans that might have worked once-upon-a-time to get "questionable" players and other kids to commit to X are largely gone by the wayside with NIL. Will he be able to get the same talent on campus now? Will he be able to replicate the earlier success?

History doesn't seem to bode well in this. Coaches making a "second time around" don't have a great record of success. The fans remember things with rose-colored glasses and that wears off quickly.

Xavier has had no problem getting talent of late. I don't think that is much of a concern for Miller.

As for there being some history of returning coaches failing, who are you thinking of? I'm having a hard time coming up with examples. I guess Petrino at UofL. Bill Walsh at Stanford? John Robinson at USC? Billy Martin with the Yankees? I'm not sure these tell you much about Sean Miller. I can't even think of a college basketball coach who left and came back.

I think it's hilarious that the sanctimonious Muskies hired Miller, but he was probably the best coach they could get, and I expect he'll do pretty well again at X.

04-04-2022 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2021-22 College Basketball Season General Thread - levydl - 04-04-2022 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.