Bookmark and Share
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: 2021-22 College Basketball Season General Thread
(02-19-2022 09:50 PM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(02-19-2022 05:21 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(02-19-2022 04:55 PM)chatcat Wrote:  
(02-19-2022 04:28 PM)levydl Wrote:  X lost at UConn, which is not exactly shameful. They are probably still a few seed lines away from the bubble, but they are really underachieving. Which, of course, means they'll be a 10 seed but make the Sweet 16 or something.

Final Five?

It would be hard for X to blow an NCAA bid at this point but Steele is doing his best to accomplish that. NCAA Tourney Runs under prior X coaches are gone, and mostly forgotten by now on the national scene.

In terms of the NCAA Tournament, the "new" version of the Big East has pretty much been an outstanding Villanova program and a rotating cast of has beens or never weres. I'll be curious what Fox thinks the market value is when it's time to renegotiate a TV deal.

I am really interested in what type of TV deal that group would get? I still think the ACC would be making a solid basketball move if they grabbed Villanova and one of Georgetown or St. john’s and took MSG from the Big East.

Personally I don’t see a ton of value in Xavier, Butler, Depaul, Marquette, or Creighton. The older guard schools including UConn have way more basketball due or being traditional Big East schools.

I would argue that the league needs to get back into football and raid the American and a few others. UConn, Temple, Memphis, Army, Navy, UMass, Buffalo, and USF would be my football league. All but Army and Navy would get all sports invites.

Bolded, interesting idea. Is UCONN still holding out hope that the ACC will rescue them? Keeping a moribund football program afloat makes me wonder. Villanova has no FBS football to offer the ACC but had flirted with the upgrade when the old Big East was beginning to break apart.

A new Big East, version 2.0, with that group of schools would pick up some quality basketball brands but the best case scenario for football would likely become just the second or third best G5 football conference behind the Mountain West and maybe the Sun Belt.

I expect the new Big East to make a marketing push for being "P6" basketball unless the American has trademarked that. But as UC fans learned firsthand, there really is no P6. Nationally, media and college football fans now worship at the First Church of the P5 and have chosen to use that moniker for both football and basketball to separate the "haves" from the "have nots".

02-20-2022 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2021-22 College Basketball Season General Thread - OKIcat - 02-20-2022 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.