Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021 football coaching carousel
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: 2021 football coaching carousel
(11-05-2021 11:43 PM)Converted Rice Wrote:  Joey Mc Guire would be a great hire for Rice. He is liked in Texas High School circles and is ready to move up. I would hate losing him at Baylor, but he deserves a shot. I think he would win at Rice.

Bringing in Joey McGuire and David Wetzel was a brilliant first (or at least early) move by Matt Rhule when Baylor hired him. McGuire won 3 state championships in 14 years at Cedar Hill (a school that had never won a playoff game before) and is a member of the THSCA Hall of Honor. Wetzel is a Baylor grad and past president of the THSCA. Rhule was from out of state and had virtually no Texas connections. Hiring them boosted his Texas profile immediately. Even when he was losing to Liberty, I was saying he would turn it around because of those moves.

In the discussion about Patterson above, I mentioned a Texas Football poll where HS coaches across the state were asked which FBS head coach they trusted most. Patterson was the winner. Rhule was second, and that has to have been because of McGuire and Wetzel. You better believe that had a huge impact on his ability to turn that program around as fast as he did. Aranda understood the dynamic, and kept them both onboard for a reason.

Bloomgren came to Rice in a situation similar to Rhule as far as Texas connections. He did not hire the equivalent of McGuire and Wetzel. Note that he did not get similar results to Rhule.

I believe that Rice should, and in fact must, recruit nationally. The academic requirements reduce the number of fish in the pond that we can go after. But we have to build off a solid Texas base. And building solid relationships with the THSCA is step one.
11-06-2021 09:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2021 football coaching carousel - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-06-2021 09:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.