Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC exploring possible move from original home of Greensboro
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
RE: ACC exploring possible move from original home of Greensboro
(08-29-2021 01:43 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(08-29-2021 12:26 PM)XLance Wrote:  I spoke yesterday to a friend who is "in the know".
He said that he thinks the move from Greensboro is already a "done deal".
He felt that there was bias against Greensboro among the old Big East teams that have kept several championships out of Greensboro over the last few years.

An example: Greensboro bailed the conference out when Boston College screwed the conference and the Baseball tournament scheduled for Fenway Park had to be relocated at the last minute.
The company that owns the minor league team bent over backwards to accommodate the ACC. The Greensboro minor league team (the Grasshoppers) is single A. However the stadium is AAA ready and a much nicer venue than Durham.
Greensboro bid several times for the baseball tournament after helping the conference out of a crisis, but was snubbed every time.

It was a dark day when we let those people into our conference, and the are like a stench that just won't wash out. Eventually the only way to rid ourselves of them will be to leave, and leave them behind.

LMFAO! Where do you think you are moving to that will host anything in the Carolinas? You think your influence is diminished in the ACC? LOL, go to the B10 or SEC and see what happens there.

I wouldn't call the Greensboro coliseum complex a dump, but the arena itself is nothing special. It really makes me wonder if fans of the Carolina schools have seen anything outside of their own state.

Bottom line is the ACC's primary charge to Phillips was to close the revenue gap and the conference isn't in position to leave one nickle on the table for the sake of baby bluehair nostalgia. If that means moving HQ, then it should move. That also doesn't mean all championship events are leaving, although if they'd make more money elsewhere, they should as well. Moving the office from Greensboro is a complete nothingburger for anything that actually matters in modern college athletics. That is why Packer and Durham spent what, a total of 30 seconds on the topic on Friday. Personally, if it doesn't make a difference for operations or revenue, leave it where it is; if it does, then move it.

How does moving the conference headquarters help the conference’s bottom line? It costs money to make a move. My understanding is that the city of Greensboro gives the ACC free rent. Try finding that elsewhere. You lose experienced people when you make a move. That causes disruption.

The whole desire to move the conference offices seems to come from those who resent the influence of the NC schools. I get it but don’t cut off your nose to spite your face. I expect the decisions made at the conference offices will be the same regardless of where the conference offices are located. I don’t think mere resentment is much of a justification for an expensive, disruptive move.

How many of those advocating a move have ever been responsible for moving an office? It’s not a frictionless endeavor.
08-29-2021 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ACC exploring possible move from original home of Greensboro - Hallcity - 08-29-2021 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.