Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy
(07-13-2021 01:23 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(07-13-2021 12:21 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(07-13-2021 08:50 AM)esayem Wrote:  So worst case scenario for the Rose Bowl is they host a semifinal the week after NYD once every three years and the other two years host the runner-up (possibly second runner ups) of the Big 10/Pac 12 on their traditional date? This would mean campus sites for 1st round and quarterfinals.

Best case they host a quarterfinal on NYD every year with the option to host a semi a week later every three years?

I don’t understand the big controversy.

To me the obvious compromise on travel is to place the semis on campus. This is something I posted about years ago and I think Frank Tank was an advocate as well. This means the 6 bowls can maintain their traditional dates and two would be out of the playoff picture every three years.

Talk about starting the spring semester with a bang on campus!

The controversy is as Dodd stated, the Rose is coming out of NYD if they want to take part. The QF will take place prior to the 1st (probably at CCG sites or campus sites) to mitigate travel. This way you can get the SF scheduled the Saturday preceding NFL WC weekend.

I can’t believe people believe weeknight SFs will even be considered. Again, listen carefully to the 15 min mark of that podcast. As soon as they announced 6+6 I knew the Rose and its organizers were completely cut out from the setup.

Went back and listened again. I didn’t hear anything about the quarterfinals not happening on or around NYD and having to be in December.

Further to this point, you saw multiple quotes in this process about the importance of college football “taking back New Year’s Day” and how an expanded playoff would allow it to do so. I think this is one of the points that everyone that has power in college football - whether the conferences or the Rose Bowl - actually agrees upon. It would sort of be insane to think that they’d expand this playoff and then not have at least 2 (and probably 3) quarterfinal games on NYD annually. The TV ratings showed over and over again that the playoff games in the current system got a very significant boost when they were on NYD specifically and everyone involved knows that TV is driving the bus here.

It blows for traveling fans, but whether the semifinals are on weeknights or not is honestly an afterthought by comparison. Frankly, we should remember that weeknight games are actually a feature (not a bug) for TV networks.

For maximum TV ratings, you want as many quarterfinal playoff games on NYD as possible, semifinal games that don’t conflict with the NFL (even if it means weeknight games), and then the National Championship Game on a Sunday, Monday or Thursday (likely to continue to be Monday). Since maximizing TV revenue is pretty much the entire point of this exercise, I think we’re heading toward that framework.
07-17-2021 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy - Frank the Tank - 07-17-2021 09:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.