Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy
(07-12-2021 09:58 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(07-12-2021 08:36 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-12-2021 08:16 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(07-11-2021 08:57 PM)Alanda Wrote:  In a CBS podcast Dodd was a guest speaking on the playoffs, Notre Dame, NIL, and Scott Frost. Here are some things that stuck out to me with the playoff part.

-Believes ESPN didn't renegotiate with Big 12 because they are saving money for the playoff
-I'm paraphrasing, but if bowls are used in quarterfinals he expects tie-ins will be done with
-Bowls not set in stone to be used for quarterfinals
-He thinks future conference media rights deals will be higher because the regular season will be more important

Thanks for sharing. ESPN going for the kill.

Honestly, I think ESPN wants to kill the existing bowl System / NY6 and replace it with this 12-team model. I know the purists will be up in arms calling that blasphemy, but that’s exactly what I think ESPN is up to. They can preserve the game sites as tradition, but the Rose Bowl is going to be culled, at least the once familiar form of it. Ultimately, the QFs cannot be played on NYD. Some other wasteland exhibition bowls are going to fill it up leading to the SemiFinals the following Saturday. The only other possibility is the Rose and Sugar moving out of NYD or simply not participating at all most years.

Won’t happen overnight, but I’m convinced of it. Mark this post.

PS: Dennis Dodd nails exactly what I thought at the 15:30 mark… if you are still having doubts listen to that part x3. This is exactly how I felt about this weeks ago when the 12 team format was announced. He even mentions they won’t get 5:30 ET NYD.

Well, since the conferences seem to be in favor of expanding to 12, ESPN doesn't even need to go in for the kill. They just need to be willing to go along with it. Like you, I suspect they will be.

But, it won't surprise me if ESPN negotiates pretty tough. I suspect Disney thinks that the CFP is pretty eager to get this done sooner rather than later. If so, ESPN will try to drive a hard bargain.

ESPN owns the bowls.

Right, 35 out of 40. But so?
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2021 07:06 AM by quo vadis.)
07-13-2021 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy - quo vadis - 07-13-2021 07:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.