Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy
(07-11-2021 06:13 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The NFL would not have been popular at all without playoffs, as the only reason for the teams existence is to compete for a league championship. Also, because the franchises are creations of the league, all fans are not only "Saints" fans or "Patriots" fans, they are "NFL fans", so they keep watching the playoff games even when their teams aren't in them. ...

Many, maybe, I don't watch anything but the Super Bowl if the Bungles don't make the playoffs. Hypothetically maybe if the Brownies are in it, as it is something to talk about with my stepfather who is originally from Canton.

I dunno, maybe that comes from growing up in Central Ohio, so becoming a fan of a college football team as a teenager before becoming a fan of an NFL team in college, so maybe I watch NFL football "like" I am watching college football.

(07-11-2021 09:49 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  In CFB at 3-3 with just 12 in the playoffs you're still going to have to have a really great record to make the playoffs. Probably two losses, maybe three at most. That's a very high bar. And at 3-3 you've run out of time.

Except if two of those losses were OOC, you are maybe 2-1 in conference and still very early days in the conference championship hunt. This is the reason why media partners would value the "Top X conference champions" part of the package. And if most of your in-division games are later in the season, a lot of your destiny may still be in your hands, in terms of what losses you can inflict on your division rivals to make sure they also have a conference loss and have the head on head over them.
(07-11-2021 09:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-11-2021 08:57 PM)Alanda Wrote:  -He thinks future conference media rights deals will be higher because the regular season will be more important

If so, that would benefit the PAC, Big 12 and B1G, all of whom have rights deals coming up in a couple of years. Even the MW comes up again in 2026.

In contrast, conferences like the SEC, ACC, and AAC are all locked in until the 2030s, so won't benefit from that windfall.

If there is a windfall.

So good reason for the SEC and ACC to support a system based on the creation of media value in the CFP itself, and good reason for the PAC-12, Big Ten and Big12 to support it to the point that it improves regular season media values.

(With the Big12 having a little extra reason for supporting it because it makes it very hard to get conference semfinals, which would allow the SEC to offer spots to a Texahoma Four.)

So grow the value of the CFP, but only to the point that it also boosts the media value of the regular season would be the natural consensus position of the P5. Throw the non-Autonomous conferences a bone by upgrading the race for the Access Bowl spot into a race for a championship playoff spot, and you have all ten FBS conferences on board.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2021 06:39 AM by BruceMcF.)
07-12-2021 06:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dodd: CFP expansion is complicated and could get messy - BruceMcF - 07-12-2021 06:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.