Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Starting Lineup (before any more possible additions)
Bookmark and Share
Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Starting Lineup (before any more possible additions)
(08-11-2021 08:29 AM)SeñorTiger Wrote:  
(08-10-2021 09:24 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(08-10-2021 08:25 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  
(08-10-2021 08:04 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(08-10-2021 04:27 PM)tkgrrett Wrote:  Sure we will run some 4-guard lineups.. there is no such thing as a “true” 4 at the college level but spending time at the 4 regularly you have Williams, C Lawson, Minott, some Dandridge and possibly Camden. It’s not like there aren’t bodies for minutes there.

I don’t know what you mean by “Point guard skills” but Bates can definitely turn the corner and trigger defensive movement (key in our read-react offense) and is a capable playmaker for others, regularly getting 4-5 assists on the EYBL circuit.

Maybe I’m wrong but with 5 top-level wings, a potentially elite off-dribble scorer and a read-react offense, seems like an offensively limited PG playing 24 mins per game on avg is a massive waste

Just looking at the elite 8 last year - USC didn’t play a traditional PG, Houston didn’t really, Oregon st didn’t, and you could even argue about Suggs.

Bates, LQ and Timberlake don't look anything like any of those guys. I've seen just about every Bates video that's out there. All you are doing is wishing against Lomax. That is the entire basis for every single player you try and invent as a point guard.

Alright buddy.. you are right - no way could projected NBA primary ballhandler and elite wing Emoni Bates every be as good a ballhandler/initiator as *checks notes* Tahj Eaddy, Dejon Jerrau and Ethan Thompson.

Anyway.. all irrelevant without Bates on board

You can throw out any name you want. Bates doesn't play anything like them. Why not play our best point guard? Because you hate him. End of story.

Eh, I do not think it is about "hating Lomax". I spent a lot of time last season defending him personally. For me, it is about putting the best 5 out there to help us win at an elite level come March.

We can certainly win with Lomax playing 20+ minutes, that was proven last year. However, I do believe there is a ceiling on the team with him as the main PG and I believe that is most people's perspective.

We also proved last year that we can absolutely win without him playing at all. Sacrificing early lumps and possibly even losses to let someone like Bates or whoever (pending he signs with us) get acclimated to the college game to be ready to be our primary ball handler increases that ceiling significantly IMO.

We want our best 5 on the court for as many minutes as reasonably possible. Best is relative of course because it depends on factors like cohesion, roles, etc. But we certainly have 5 or more players that are more talented basketball players on this team than Lomax. The goal is to find someone that can fill his role as PG that allows for more talented players than Lomax to be on the court together.

I don't disagree with each point, especially the part about us having a ceiling with Lomax. IF this was 2019, where we don't have a lot of talent or scorers, I would absolutely say that Bates has a shot at doing it the same way that Jeremiah Martin did. There is no way he can play his normal game at Memphis.

Bates has massive odds to overcome, much the same as Cisse did. He should be a high school senior. Point guard isn't his position, his isn't a distributor or a facilitator, he is a volume shooter. His shooting habits are similar to what Nolley's were at Virginia Tech and the first half of last season here. Cisse looked like a beast in high school, but wasn't strong enough. The same can be said about Bates.

Tyreke ended up doing a good job, but he also took 200 more shots than everyone else. It is going to be a challenge keeping everyone happy as it is. The off the dribble step back three pointers he loves so much, better drop from game one, or we are going to be in the same position we were last season, up to the Wichita game.
08-11-2021 09:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starting Lineup (before any more possible additions) - Stammers - 08-11-2021 09:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.