Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC Preseason MBB Polls & Recognition
Bookmark and Share
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
RE: WAC Preseason MBB Polls & Recognition
(06-24-2021 10:24 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  
(06-24-2021 08:57 AM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  For the record, the TX4 joined the WAC and NMSU. Not the other way around. They did that for a reason. I agree no one is afraid to play NMSU (or anyone else for that matter). But NMSU is king of the hill and those schools wanted in with a shot to climb the hill.

Congrats to GCU and the good season they had last year. Let's see if they can keep up that success for the next 10-15 years. NMSU has already proven they can sustain success over a very long period of time.

I mean how difficult has it been for NMSU the last decade if we just go off of SOS while playing current in the current WAC.

13/14 -2.58
14/15 -3.67
15/16 -3.54
16/17 -3.82
17/18 -1.10
18/19 -2.38
19/20 -4.24
20/21 -5.09

I know SOS isn't an absolute but it helps tells the truth that NMSU scheduling tougher non league games helped offset how weak the WAC has been and without those non league matchups their SOS would be even more in the negative. NMSU has made 9 tournaments in the last 20 years and 5 of the last 7 years ( I'm not counting the 19/20 season) which isn't bad at all but being the most established D1 program in WAC 2.0 is an advantage but if I'm an Aggie fan I'm not apologizing for but I'd probably recognize the advantages my school has had for a while in WAC 2.0. I don't think we see any school in WAC 3.0 run off a clip of 5 out of 7 years making it to the tournament. WAC 3.0 have established programs coming in while having young D1 programs like ACU and GCU figuring things out with CBU more than likely not far behind. It's going to be a fun future for all of us and the schools.

Since 2010, NMSU has made the tourney 8 times. They almost assuredly would have made it in 2019-2020 if not for COVID (16-0 in the WAC, 19 game win streak, win over Mississippi State, a team that also would have made the tourney and sent 2 players to the NBA).

I agree that the WAC 2.0, with few exceptions, dragged our SOS down. I also fully expect WAC 3.0 to be much better and will be much more difficult to win. I am in favor of all of that. Loob fans insinuate that NMSU likes the watered down WAC and being a big fish in a small pond. Not true. We want a stronger WAC and realize a stronger WAC will be harder to win. That's a good thing.

I fully expect NMSU to be in the mix to win regular season and tourney titles every year in WAC 3.0. Being in the mix every year and winning every year are two different things. But I would expect to be in, say, the top 3 year in and year out. We were in the mix every year in WAC 1.0 which was much stronger than WAC 3.0.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2021 12:25 PM by PojoaquePosse.)
06-24-2021 12:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: WAC Preseason MBB Polls & Recognition - PojoaquePosse - 06-24-2021 12:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.