Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Larry Scott can't go away fast enough!
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
RE: Larry Scott can't go away fast enough!
(06-16-2021 04:06 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  I think every conference has its problematic members, but, with maybe the exception of the Big XII, nobody's got the kind of "control" like the CA schools have over the PAC. Stanford and USC especially.

The PAC could have had Texas 30 years ago. You can thank Stanford for stopping that one. They could have members in the Central time zone, or have a scheduling alliance with schools in the Central and Eastern time zones. Passes on both. And maybe those weren't the "ideal" options, but who gets to say that?

And the lowest of low hanging fruit still remains the pass on Oklahoma and State. Dislike the two of them as much as only a few did (but was enough), it would have hit a big reset button for a media deal. OU, even if you don't like State unless it's a side dish with Texas, was a game changer for the PAC. And much like how Stanford stood in the way of things in 1990 with both Colorado and Texas, I'm going to LOL so hard if we're talking about State being in the PAC by the end of this decade, because it will show, yet again, how the PAC gets in the way of itself when it comes to these initiatives. It really is unrivaled amongst the other major conferences.

I am not sure where you are getting some of this information, but the PAC is a pretty tight conference. Stanford and USC do not call the shots. The four California schools together can block something, but they generally agree on most things. You seem to be hung up on the scheduling alliance, but it was not that big of a deal. Scott made a mistake, the vote failed and everyone moved on. It is not like the Pac-12 and Big Ten don't play each other. The scheduling alliance just would not work for football. Much ado about nothing.

The PAC and Colorado had an interest in each other from the 90's. Timing is everything and the right time was in 2010. I do not remember Stanford or anyone else in the PAC rejecting Colorado and UT in the 1990's. There was some rumor about UT being given a standing offer to the PAC in 1994.

What I can tell you is that without Texas, the PAC was and is not interested in any other central time zone school. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State do not move the needle. Texas has a population of 29 million compared to 4 million for Oklahoma. UT is a lot like Cal and would have fit in well in the conference. UT and OU would have worked for the PAC. OU and OSU would not.

The Pac-12 is not interested in expansion at this time. Scheduling alliances are just too hard to even consider. The Ohio State at Oregon game last season was canceled and they just could not find a date to make it up. So when Oregon visits Ohio State in September, the Ducks will get paid $3.5 million for the game. They have scheduled a home-and-home series for the 2032-2033 seasons. The Michigan at Washington game canceled last season still has not been rescheduled. Washington plays at Michigan in September.
06-17-2021 09:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Larry Scott can't go away fast enough! - SoCalBobcat78 - 06-17-2021 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.