Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Larry Scott can't go away fast enough!
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Larry Scott can't go away fast enough!
(06-10-2021 06:24 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-10-2021 06:07 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(06-10-2021 12:02 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  Schools in the Big Ten that make bad decisions can overcome them with their revenue advantages. That is not as easy for the Pac-12, especially if you are not getting any help or support from the Conference Commissioner.

Expansion was the path to more money. Beyond twelve. It’s not that I disagree with you on the above, but the path was defined. The PAC schools chose to disagree with that. And when the PAC chose to pass on an alternative to expansion on a project/share with the Big Ten, well, the Big Ten, not being stupid or foolish, expanded again. And maybe expanded with programs that held other value beyond football or athletics in general. The Big Ten knew how to play the game. Same with the SEC. Heck, same as the ACC.

What annoys me about the PAC is stuff out there about schools’ disappointment with revenue, or lack of eastward reach for more variety on the dial. But, then what of what they rejected that could have done both...either of those options (OU-OSU expansion or B1G-PAC, even if B1G-PAC had limitations)?

Larry Scott got that stuff. He put it in front of the presidents. And all they, the presidents, had to do was vote for it. Only, they didn’t. Now, for what wasn’t sewn, you can’t reap. Yet, this is on Larry? If he was better at his job, he could have made a better case for the schools to think beyond their way of things? Really?

The PAC schools overthought this one. This precedes how a commissioner can’t manage the group. And it’s not to be read as pro-Scott. You can have both: a bad commissioner and a group of schools who made bad decisions (and a bad hire) who need to own their ****. I’m on the side of the latter.

Forgive my poor memory, but what did the PAC presidents not vote for? Scott had big bold plans. He wanted a vast, intricate multi-tiered conference TV network - and the presidents voted for it.

He had a bold expansion plan involving raiding the B12 for Texas, Oklahoma and some other B12 schools - from what I remember, the presidents were on board for that as well, IIRC that collapsed when the Big 12 told Texas it could form its own TV network, the LHN, and without Texas the deal collapsed. The PAC did expand by adding Utah and Colorado, so I don't think we can say the presidents were expansion-averse during that time. He had a bold idea for the PAC-B1G alliance and the presidents did initially approve that. IIRC, that fell apart over PAC logistical concerns about its 9-game conference schedule compared to 8 for the B1G. Essentially, USC and Stanford, given their series with Notre Dame, had problems because the alliance would have left them with no cupcakes on the schedule, and ever team needs cupcakes.

As for revenue, sure, the PAC is way behind the B1G and SEC, but so is everybody else. They are naturally more valuable. The latest distribution figures I've seen for the others are:

B12 .... $37m to $40m per school

ACC ... $30m to $37m per school

PAC ... $34m per school

So that puts the PAC a little behind the B12, and about the same as the ACC. And the Big 12, the conference that is doing best of that bunch, is the one with 10 members and has not expanded over the past 12 years, whereas the ACC is at 14 members and has been an aggressive expander, with the PAC between them.

So not clear how expansion has been the big ticket to more money? And the PAC does have the opportunity to increase its money in a couple years, the ACC is basically out of bullets for the time being.

Its hard to debate P5 TV deal numbers as they include so many arrangements. P5 presidents look at the total revenue figure and in that regard the PAC is further behind the B1G/SEC.

The PAC's problem though has more to do with recruiting. Recruiting wasn't as much of a problem when it was a 6 or 8 power conference system but its getting exposed in the P5 arrangement. The PAC added two more schools to go after the same talent base while the others expanded with those who brought another talent base into the conference.
06-11-2021 08:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Larry Scott can't go away fast enough! - Kit-Cat - 06-11-2021 08:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.