Owl Is In Chains Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
RE: Bragga is OUT Per Kendall Rogers
(06-01-2021 03:51 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 03:47 PM)Owl Is In Chains Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 03:42 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 12:06 PM)Owl Is In Chains Wrote:  
(06-01-2021 11:18 AM)Ourland Wrote:  +1. Agree. A major D1 university has no business hiring a guy with no prior head coaching experience, no matter how popular he may be with fans. If he works out at HBU, hire him next time around.

This response has nothing to do with Berkman. I just do not understand why you have to have prior head coaching experience to get a job. Hasn't that been a problem in the NFL where fired coaches just get recycled somewhere else.

Somehow, you have to get your first head coaching job. No reason to me it has to start at the lower levels. If you have skills, you have skills. The aggies hired Childress with no head coaching experience. Seemed to work out for them. Skip Bertman was an assistant at Miami when LSU hired him. Also seemed to work out. If Graham had retired and Pierce was still an assistant at Rice, would you have not considered him?

Some guys just need an opportunity.

Again, some of you guys are intentionally missing the point. Berkman had no college coaching experience. Period. At any level. He was never an assistant coach. And he lasted as a volunteer coach for less than a month of Fall Ball. Comparing him to Childress, who was Assistant Head Coach at Nebraska for a number of years (when Nebraska was a nationally ranked program), and considered one of-- if not the preeminent-- pitching coach in all of college baseball when he was hired by the Aggies is ridiculous. Yes, Berkman deserved a chance, but first as an assistant coach.

Why are you replying to me about Berkman? My first statement is that my reply has nothing to do with Berkman. My comment was in response to comments that Rice had to hire a guy with head coaching experience. I was not comparing Childress to Berkman. You did. My only comment was that if the guy is right, he does not have to have previous head coaching experience.

And my point (if you bothered to read my entire post), which you continue to ignore, is that no one is saying that you need prior college head coaching experience, but you MUST HAVE at least some prior college coaching experience as an assistant, preferably as an Assistant Head Coach and recruiting coordinator at a respectable D1 program.

Check your ego. My initial response had nothing to do with any of your statements. Your reply to my comment comes in with a rant about Berkman and my first sentence was that my response had nothing to do with Berkman, as Ourland had alluded to him. You say I am intentionally missing your point and question my reading comprehension. Then you say NO ONE is saying that you need prior college head coaching experience. I was responding to a post by Ourland that is quoted above (shown in bold) that said just that. Evidently some people think that prior head coaching experience is required. I don't agree, but that is his opinion, which does not make it wrong since it does not align with my opinion.
06-02-2021 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bragga is OUT Per Kendall Rogers - Owl Is In Chains - 06-02-2021 08:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.