Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going to be."
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
RE: AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going ...
(05-10-2021 01:33 PM)slhNavy91 Wrote:  Aresco isnt expressing pessimism/frustration about the probability or pace of CFP expansion.

I agree that he hasn't expressed pessimism about the long-term probability of CFP expansion at some point in the future.

However, he has expressed frustration with the CFP committee's deliberations regarding both their 2021 CFP rankings/selection and the pace of their consideration of potential CFP expansion.

"(Aresco stated)... “There will be discussions coming up in a few weeks at the CFP meetings. Do I think some proposals will be made regarding an expanded playoff – yes. Do I think down the road it could well happen – yes.”

Note: In this statement, Aresco clearly distinguished between the likely outcome of the Spring CFP meetings and the longer-term possibility ("could well happen") of CFP expansion.

Specifically, he made it clear that he did not expect the "proposals" for an expanded playoff to be approved during the Spring meetings.

Would this have caused him any degree of frustration? I can't find any evidence to suggest that he was perfectly happy and content with the unwillingness of the CFP to move toward near-term expansion. To the contrary, the many accounts of Aresco's feelings about the CFP committee's intransigence have emphasized how angry and upset he has been about this issue.

Apparently, you don't think Aresco was frustrated by the fact that the CFP committee showed no indications of supporting a motion for an expanded playoff during their Spring meetings.

Though you stated that "Aresco isnt expressing pessimism/frustration about the ... pace of CFP expansion," I don't think you have presented any evidence that he is ok with the pace of their deliberations.

I wonder if you or anyone else can cite a specific statement in which Aresco has expressed satisfaction or contentment with the pace of the committee's work on the matter of CFP expansion.

Q: Has Aresco accepted the reality that the playoffs probably won't be expanded until the current CFP system expires in 2026?

A: He did make it clear that he has accepted that reality in a 4/12/21 interview with Paul Finebaum. He spoke in a very somber tone and didn't sound very happy about it, and his remarks came in the midst of a critical statement about the injustice of the current CFP system.

http://finebaumfan.com/listen-to-the-pau...-podcasts/

His only optimistic statement was that, despite his assumption that the committee would not approve CFP expansion during their Spring meetings, he nevertheless did think that there would eventually be an expanded playoff.

That's why he felt the need to add this sentence: Do I think down the road it could well happen – yes.”

As to whether he has expressed frustration with the CFP committee, there is abundant evidence that he has.

In fact, his frustration with the CFP Committee was so profound that it even led him to question their credibility:

SBJ Sports Business Journal

"AAC's Mike Aresco Questions Credibility Of CFP Committee
12.17.2020"

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Da...s/CFP.aspx

AAC Commissioner tees off on CFP selection committee
ByAUSTIN NIVISON Dec 16, 2020

"First, the AAC Commissioner took aim at the committee for failing to operate in what he believes to be a logical fashion. Instead, Aresco thinks they are giving protection to bigger brand names in the sport."

"I never thought I’d say it, but if this continues, I’d say let’s bring back the BCS and the computers. It would be a fairer system than I’m seeing now."

The committee is honestly undermining its credibility with the rankings. It defies logic, common sense, and fairness. I’m not the only one. I think there’s universal criticism … It’s clearly become a P5 invitational. That term has been used. Certain teams, because of their name, branding, pedigree, or whatever, are given the playoff privilege, it seems to me.”

"Aresco ...can’t believe which teams get the benefit of the doubt and which ones have to scratch and claw for respect."

“I think what this ranking did last night with Florida after that game against LSU, a team that is depleted, and Georgia jumping over Cincinnati, it just brings the P5 vs. G5 issue into stark contrast,” Aresco said. “It’s been there before, but even more so now. I can speak for Louisiana, which went up to Iowa State and won by 17 points. I can speak for Coastal Carolina, of course. I happen to think Cincinnati is an elite team that’s deserving of a top four spot.”

"Toward the end of his lengthy rant, Aresco made the case that the SEC is having a down year..."

Has Aresco made some more positive statements about the long-term prospects for CFP expansion?

Yes, he has.
My only point about CFP expansion was that there was at least one interview after he spoke about the AAC's willingness to consider expanding to 14 teams when he made a gloomier statement about the immediate, short-term prospects of CFP expansion, in which he used terms such as "frustration" and "frustrating."

Is it possible that that pessimistic statement was just a "one-off?" Yes.

On the other hand, he has to express long-term optimism because it's part of his job to work toward CFP expansion.

His true feelings on the matter may or may not be quite as optimistic as his statements about the long-term possibilities for expansion may suggest.

Overall, all I am saying is that Aresco's statements about CFP expansion have been a mixed bag. He has made optimistic statements about CFP expansion in the long-term, but has expressed frustration about the prospects for CFP expansion in the shorter-term.

(This post was last modified: 05-11-2021 12:16 AM by jedclampett.)
05-10-2021 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: AAC at a crossroads: "We’re trying to figure out what our strategy is going ... - jedclampett - 05-10-2021 11:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.