Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New MBB Coaching Thread (Assistant Coach)
Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
RE: New MBB Coaching Thread (Assistant Coach)
(04-21-2021 12:06 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-21-2021 11:27 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(04-21-2021 10:38 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-21-2021 10:20 AM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(04-21-2021 09:26 AM)emu steve Wrote:  DP, I think most agree with you. HOWEVER, it is hard to get an experienced HC to come for what we pay. Are we going to ask a coach in the HL, MVC, etc to take a 33% pay to work for $320K.

Best hope has been to get lucky and find a very good candidate who is unemployed OR under-employed.

Heath is a very experienced HC but apparently had a reasonable salary at the G-League.
I truly believe Stan Heath did this not for the money! He made 7 figures at Arkansas and S Florida! E Michigan is where he played college basketball, he met his wife at E Michigan, he wants to restore the glory days! He literally talked constantly about having A packed house similar to Bowen Field House, all the greats from the 80's and early 90's by name! He said he did pay attention on how E Michigan basketball was doing, and he realizes how far this program has fallen! He's from Detroit, Michigan, and he's a Huron and now an Eagle! He said all of this over a 12 minute speech! His enthusiasm was phenomenal, but can he restore the program? I don't mean .500 in the MAC consistently, I mean 14-4, 15-3 MAC records that we were accustomed to for those 10 years! Football and basketball have never come close to those years from 87-92 in both, and basketball from 87-98! Eagle Sam, who I've the upmost respect for on his knowledge of basketball deserves to see A MAC championship! We went to FOUR consecutive MAC title games from 94-98! I sure hope Stan Heath can do it........

What you say is true, but I don't think G-League HCs are paid that well so the salary fit wasn't bad.

Never ask a rich coach (e.g., John B.) to work for a pittance, even if they don't need the money.

Boy, the City of Detroit should hire you to do PR. Remember when Detroit was the Paris of the Midwest. It was considered great. Now it is a city in great decay.

Things change over time. Never know the next great city or next city to go into decline.

I have no idea where we'll be in 3 - 5 years. I'm not a basketball prophet.

The MAC is a middle of the way conference. there are PLENTY of conferences beneath the MAC that we could pull a head coach from - not even counting div 2
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basket...ng-by-conf

I can tell you 320K is NOT the median salary for a head coach in D-I. Most MAC coaches are way UNDER paid compared to their school's standing in the rankings.

And as far as hiring a D-II coach. Not by me. Ben Braun was not hired as a non-D-I coach. He was PROMOTED from being an EMU assistant coach. He was a D-I coach at the time. He was working his way up the ladder. Many coaches begin as H.S. coaches and then go onto collegiate careers. Heath actually coached at Ypsilanti Lincoln.

https://emueagles.com/sports/mens-basket...heath/1643

Braun was the head coach at Siena Heights for 8 seasons before taking the EMU assistant position an assistant position that he was promoted to head coach halfway through the first season of. so he basically jumped from the NAIA level to div 1.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2021 12:21 PM by dansplaining.)
04-21-2021 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New MBB Coaching Thread (Assistant Coach) - dansplaining - 04-21-2021 12:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.