Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News ‘Biden* Just Doesn’t Care’ About Migrant Surge — ‘This Is Dangerous’
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: ‘Biden* Just Doesn’t Care’ About Migrant Surge — ‘This Is Dangerous’
(04-08-2021 10:50 AM)Danforth Wrote:  
(04-08-2021 10:43 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Democrats see a steady stream of illegals as a steady supply of future democrat votes. They don't want to do anything that will stem that side.

I thought Trump's preoccupation with a wall was a tactical error. A wall makes sense along land borders in CA, AZ, and NM. But along the Rio Grande, there are just too many issues. I was actually hoping that the "Art of the Deal" would be trading the wall for a coherent, rational immigration policy. Regan had a deal with Tip O'Neill to put such a policy in place back in the 1980s, trading amnesty for illegals already here to get it. But Tip and the democrats reneged on their side of the bargain, and there has been bad blood on both sides ever since. The problem for republicans is how do you negotiate with someone that you fundamentally distrust.

My understanding was that the policy long ago was to enforce the border at the cities in order to force immigrants to risk crossing in the desert. This did two things.

1. It kept them out of sight
2. It made it less likely that they would try it or if they did, be successful doing it.

Trump's border wall, while popular with many, actually creates a different problem because it forces the immigrants to attempt entry back into the cities where they are more likely to be captured and thus, seek asylum.
Wrong.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
04-08-2021 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: ‘Biden* Just Doesn’t Care’ About Migrant Surge — ‘This Is Dangerous’ - 200yrs2late - 04-08-2021 11:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.