Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021-22 Hoops Transfers and Recruiting
Bookmark and Share
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
RE: 2021-22 Hoops Transfers and Recruiting
(04-06-2021 10:12 AM)Big Red Wrote:  NIU Recruiting Update:

Zion Russell - COMMITTED- 6’0” - PG - 2* recruit from National Christian Academy (Fort Washington, MD) - I believe he previously attended Hargrave Military Academy and I’ve seen him listed anywhere from 6’0” to 6’2” (he’s probably 5’11”...). I think before Hargrave, he played at Georgetown Prep. I take it he’s had his sights set on D-I basketball and he’s been jumping to the better opportunity to market himself each year. According to Prep Hoops, Russell is “an explosive scorer who can get going at any point within a game” and has the athletic ability to finish at the rim. I’m struggle a bit to find video of him from any season other than his sophomore year at Georgetown but from what I’ve watched, he’s super quick and can jump...like really jump. His videos obviously highlight him going to the rim, but there’s also a lot of really crafty passes, some outside shooting (he’s got almost a squared up and wide stance when he shoots) and a lot of defense with him both making steals (like straight up robbing opposing point guards somewhere between the top of the key and half court) and also blocking a bunch of shots (like jump shots...3 pointers and he’s blocking them). Kid is really athletic and quick and is creative going to the basket. He looks like he knows how to score and I hate to link a certain name to him but there are similarities with his height, athleticism and muscular build. He's not Kaleb Thornton. Thornton is skinny. This kid is probably the same height but muscular and more jumping ability. Honestly, the thought of Russell, Thornton, Cochran, and Hankerson harassing opposing guards is a very pleasing thought.

Russell has additional offers from Columbia, Boston University, and Bryant.

Unfortunately, Cochran isn't going to be in that mix anymore but I'm loving this guy and so far, I'm loving what Coach Burno has brought to the Huskies.

Ohio fan here. My son played with Zion years ago on an AAU team coached by Zion's dad. I've been following him ever since then and the write-up above is accurate. He is explosive. He comes from a really good family. Played on and against some really good teams. If you saw the Showtime documentary about Prince George's County, MD "Basketball County: In the Water", that's where he is from. Another inch or two taller and he isn't playing in the MAC.
04-06-2021 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2021-22 Hoops Transfers and Recruiting - OUVan - 04-06-2021 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.