Chillie Willie Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021
(01-26-2021 08:33 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(01-26-2021 04:36 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(01-25-2021 06:52 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(01-24-2021 12:54 PM)bluelight Wrote:  
(01-23-2021 04:47 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  Quit embarrassing yourself.

Trey Freeman
Jon Arledge
Randy Haynes
Trey Porter
B stith x 2
M Long is probably going to be good.

I’m honestly not a JJ fan but at least I’m not delusional. John Wooden wouldn’t save this program at this point. I’m honestly surprised we aren’t even worse. We aren’t going to sign top high school talent. We literally don’t even have a rivalry game. This conference has ruined every decent bball program that’s in it. You think ODU has it bad? La Tech, WKU, Charlotte, UAB. All were once good bball programs. 1 NCAA appearance between those 4 schools since joining. Just embarrassing. Every bball program in this conference is an afterthought and has gotten worse. It’s a complete disaster. ODU used to have 5 in state conference rivals. Now they have zero. We have much bigger problems than the coach. But yeah none of that effects recruiting at all....

JJ can recruit decent retreads, he just can't recruit incoming freshmen ready to play. CAN RECRUIT

Why is it that in 7 years, 99.4% of JJ's freshmen recruits, sat mostly on the bench?

For the same reason 99% of any athletes at any competitive level either don't play, or don't compete well (if it is an individual sport, i.e. tennis, golf) in their first year or several years. That goes for the transition from HS to college and from college to the pros. Everyone is gushing about Josh Allen, well it has taken three years for him to get to this level. We expect more of a junior or senior on a team becasue they have been in the system and have been working on their game for 2 or 3 years. Expecting a Freshman to come in as a complete player at our level is a farce or a once at best or twice in a hundred thing. Yes I know, Blaine did it or whom ever, but that was almost a decade ago, the game and times change. Heck, Blaine red-shirted a ton of kids just so they could spend a year learning and improving and not get beat up in games. JJ's only job is to put the 5-8 guys on the floor each night that he feels gives us the best chance to win. Unless we are all hanging out at practice daily, we have no idea what most of these kids are capable of except from his/her high school highlight reel, which might I remind, is edited to only show the good things. So unless we are going to suddenly start signing 4 and 5 star players with regularity, I am pretty sure this is what we are stuck with.

What about the game has so drastically changed over the past 10-15 years, and assuming you have an answer to that, why has that change impacted the kids so differently that they could compete as Freshmen then but not now?

Also, if the game has changed then wouldn't it stand to reason that the high school kids have changed similarly along with said change(es)? I mean, it's not like the high school kids are doing 2 hand set shots while the college kids are doing jump shots.

Have you seen our 3 point attempts? Half of them are set shots. Watch Green. I feel like I’m watching a version of Uncle Drew where the guys really are 70 years old. Next up, Jones will have them practicing underhand free throws.
01-27-2021 11:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Men's Basketball Recruiting: 2021 - Chillie Willie - 01-27-2021 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.