UNSUBSTANTIED CHATTER: Charlotte and ODU to A10/Indy
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
RE: UNSUBSTANTIED CHATTER: Charlotte and ODU to A10/Indy
(02-05-2021 12:13 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(02-05-2021 11:51 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(02-05-2021 11:02 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(02-05-2021 10:51 AM)ODU1986 Wrote:  Does anyone know the A10 overall conference revenues and distribution formula?

Assuming the ODU Charlotte rumor is really based on both joining the A10 but going independent in football, this should be pretty easy to figure out.

If the travel savings offset the additional two seats at the table, this could be very real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that the NCAA BB credits are given 75% to those who earn them and 25% to the conference. I think I read their old TV deal was worth around $300K/team but they just resigned and couldn't find the money details in a quick search.

Here's VCU's and GMU's most recent financials.
VCU: Conf dist - $1.4M / Media - $200K
GMU: Conf dist - $171K / Media - $230K

Very much an "eat what you kill" arrangement.

http://www.apa.virginia.gov/reports/Virg...AA2019.pdf

http://www.apa.virginia.gov/reports/Geor...AA2019.pdf

Edit: Also 2.6 & 2.4 Million for travel expenses.

So let's use GMU as an example for ODU just as a financial worst-case-scenario if they moved to A10. The media/NCAA credit payout is $400k. You'd get about $300k per year for the CFP payout as an Independent. Now the trick would be selling your FB product to someone that wants it, like MASN or one of the Sinclair owned RSNs. That could get an extra $200k? Possibly with the right push. So then your yearly payout of just shy of $1 million.

Now look at CUSA. You get $715k from CFP payout. Around $400k media payout. I don't know your CUSA/NCAA credit payout so you'd need that for a full picture, but as you can see the payout in CUSA is just more if you're going to be mediocre like GMU has been.

ODU in CUSA: Conf dist: $1.3M / Media $460K

http://www.apa.virginia.gov/reports/OldD...AA2019.pdf

So $700K shy or so. But take a look at our travel expenses at $4M, we had close to $2M less in CAA with football so we should be able to shave at least $1M off that probably more. Increased basketball ticket sales and contributions for sure. Throw in an occasional extra buy game (which thus far has been rare for us) and I think we come out better off. Assuming of course Indy doesn't sink our football program. Whether it makes sense for the A10? We'll see.

Well done you two. This is why the rumor is nothing more than mist.

Football playoff money and football media are far more than the A10. If there is to be any change it will have to be by a group of CUSA schools working together to form a new conference leaving behind the dead weights and financially weak. They need to get a media deal much larger than the current CUSA contract and negotiate a similar share (per school) of the CFP money. They also need AQs in other sports like basketball, but this is probably a mere formality, as we are talking a set of established D-I FBS schools with well above the average mid-major finances and resources.

But they need a consensus and a media deal or nothing happens. That isn't there, so nothing happens.
02-05-2021 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: UNSUBSTANTIED CHATTER: Charlotte and ODU to A10/Indy - Stugray2 - 02-05-2021 02:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.