[split] BYU/CFP/playoff split discussion
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: [split] BYU/CFP/playoff split discussion
(01-11-2021 10:44 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(01-09-2021 06:07 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-09-2021 05:10 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(01-09-2021 11:27 AM)Crayton Wrote:  Neat idea about Indies being a G6. Requiring them to schedule all other indies may be too onerous, especially because the roster of Independent teams can be rather fluid and schedules are made so far in advance. Maybe a 3 or 4 game requirement, with those unable or unwilling to schedule that many simply being eligible for the at large spot. Such a change may induce Texas independence. I still think the top G5 will get a NY6 (or equivalent) spot.

I’d disagree with looping in the independents with the G5 slots because it then it becomes a de facto Notre Dame bid in many years (and I’m someone that generally thinks that a lot of fans complain about ND’s supposed advantages too much). In my mind, ND (and by extension, every other independent) should be treated the same as any P5 non-champ as an at-large - they shouldn’t be given an advantage over them and they also shouldn’t be disadvantaged against them, either.

That's not a de facto Notre Dame bid, even if they are always the top ranked indy. They still need to be highly ranked period. Only once #15 in 2019) would they have gotten a bid when they were ranked outside the top 8.

I'm also thinking that my model could also have an interesting unintended consequence. It could possibly take a school that was considering going independent and carry them over the finish line. As an example, might that prompt Texas to strike a Notre Dame/ACC type of deal with the Big 12 in which they agree to play Oklahoma every year and four other B12 opponents every year in exchange for having a home for their other sports. That could keep the B12 from breaking up by virtue of having UT and OU leaving at the same time.

Now imagine that quasi-conference which includes the Irish, the Horns and BYU, all of which play each other every year. If the people paying the bills, like ESPN and Fox, are motivated by the prospect of late season games involving ND and UT that have playoff implications, this isn't a bad deal.

This is an 8 team playoff with no autobids that still rewards teams for winning conference championships. It just doesn't reward P5 teams who win their conference only because their conference was weak.

There's absolutely nothing preventing that from happening right now and how often have those three teams played each other in the recent past and how many games are upcoming in the future? Must not be much o a motivation for the people paying the bills for these type games.

Except for the fact that, unlike, Notre Dame, Texas would not be part of the current CFP contract if they went independent. They would have to give up access to the NY6 and any compensation from that contract unless they were selected as one of the four playoff teams.
01-12-2021 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [split] BYU/CFP/playoff split discussion - ken d - 01-12-2021 09:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.