CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
RE: Boise St looking to move on from MWC
(01-07-2021 02:24 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(01-07-2021 02:03 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-07-2021 01:38 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  
(01-07-2021 12:15 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(01-07-2021 11:45 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  AAC goal of P6 status is closer to being achieved with a Boise, BYU, and either SDSU or Army/Gonzaga combo. Boise alone doesn’t move the needle all that much. Boise/BYU +1 does. Fold Army/Navy into the conference package. All BYU and Boise games into the package in addition to Army/Navy would likely trigger a media rights renegotiation. I think it doubles the value which still would be less than half the P5, but light years ahead of the G4

I believe BYU's goal is to make the playoffs. The best way to do that is by filling up their schedule with P5 programs, something they can't do in the AAC.

The long game on that idea is arguable. BYU tends to get itself into situations where, once they lose a couple of games, they all of a sudden don't have anything to play for. Not a knock on their teams. Losing 2+ games happens to the vast majority of teams the vast majority of years. Teams in conferences can still play to win their division, then potentially play for a conference title. Those last two steps are out the door for BYU most years. They are often locked into the Potato Bowl by week 5.

Continuing to have something/anything to play for creates more interest and intrigue in the years (most years) that you're not in the running for the CFP.

Fast forward a few years into an 8-team playoff situation. Being in a conference might give them a better shot to get into the top 8, not only because they can add a CCG to their resume, but because playing meaningful games in the back half of all the other years helped their recruiting.

Just my $.02

Also, keep in mind that BYU plays an average of 4.5 OOC P5 games every year, and they usually take place around the normal OOC game period (September). So it's doubtful that they'd lose much in the way of those games.

I a 5-1-2 comes to pass, where the top G5 champ as a guaranteed slot in the playoff--I think BYU would have to look seriously at joining a conference.

Agreed. Join the AAC for football-only. AAC leverages the deal by getting some basketball games every year. BYU to the West, Tulane or Memphis to the East. Everyone’s happy.

Except BYU maybe

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47a81ba7a4cd9a1327ce...=giphy.gif]
01-07-2021 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boise St looking to move on from MWC - CoastalJuan - 01-07-2021 02:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.