Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Boise St looking to move on from MWC
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Boise St looking to move on from MWC
(12-21-2020 08:40 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 05:47 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(12-21-2020 05:40 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Not surprisingly, the impasse is that Boise State wants full membership, but the AAC wants to offer them for football only, and that's a no-go for Boise because the Big West is not inviting Boise to (re)join the BW.

Quote:Emails between Boise State senior associate athletic director and football chief of staff Brad Larrondo and then-athletic director Curt Apsey in August and September show the athletic department worked behind the scenes on a potential move.

“Curt, I spent a little bit more time on Friday and over (the) weekend doing some additional research and calculating relating to the AAC,” Larrondo wrote on Sept. 28. “I know the option of FB and MBB/WBB only is not going to probably work and Big West is not an option either at this time, so we’re down to an all sports move or not moving.”

Apsey responded the next afternoon, writing to Larrondo, “Brad, at this point the AAC has told Dr. (Marlene) Tromp they are only interested in football. I would think that mindset would change if there were other schools in the West up for consideration which I think will eventually happen. Still talking to the president, the AAC and the Big West. Conversations are ongoing.”

Simple solution. Have the AAC throw the Big West some annual basketball games and baseball games as long as Boise is in both leagues, and call it a day.

UCSB's 2020 men's soccer schedule originally had road games at SMU and USF on it, so it can be done for other sports too.

What about the WAC? Sounds like its about to become far more stable conference than it has been in the past few years and it probably would be more than happy to take them. Seattle, NMSU, Grand Canyon University (Phoenix), Dixie St (Utah), Utah Valley---and likely 6 Texas schools coming on board when its all said and done. I suspect those Texas schools will be in another division so the Bronco's wont have to travel there much. The real key is the the league will finally have the kind of numbers that will make the WAC pretty stable.

If the AAC member schools thought that Boise State would be a gigantic benefit to them and their conference, they would have already offered full membership.

If Boise State was desperate to get out of the Mountain West, they would have dumped all of their other sports in any conference they could find, even the WAC.

But neither of those have happened, so it's likely that neither Boise nor the AAC members are dead-set on it. Maybe when all the ADs and school presidents take a hard look at their own interests and practical considerations, this one goes into the "Sounds nice, but" category rather than the "Must have" category.
12-21-2020 09:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Boise St looking to move on from MWC - Wedge - 12-21-2020 09:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.