tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
***General AAC Basketball Game discussion***
(12-13-2020 05:09 PM)TripleA Wrote:  
(12-13-2020 01:29 PM)Foreverandever Wrote:  
(12-13-2020 12:02 AM)TripleA Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 09:24 PM)Memphis Yankee Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 08:16 PM)oasispirate Wrote:  Memphis needs to go find the highest IQ PG in the transfer portal

This team cannot function without a PG. And to think we could have had Jalen Green. Until they find one, we'll continue to struggle. Lomax has the basketball IQ of a turnip.

Boogie should be able to play PG, but he doesn't. Even Baugh. But I agree with P, we need Stewart badly now.

But that doesn't explain why we can't hit open 3s, or box out, or put our hands up on perimeter D, or hit FTs, or don't pass to anybody at any time, or play ISO half the time.

That's why I said a PG is just the start of the crap we need to fix. Maybe Williams and Stewart will show up and teach these prima donnas how to play high major basketball.

P.S. to Pesik. Don't ever again say I always defend Memphis and then shut up when they don't do well. I have been doing both when necessary for 12 years on this forum, back when it was still the Big East, and we weren't even here yet.

If you're going to criticize me, make sure it's accurate. That's the stuff I usually defend, when people say things that absolutely are untrue, not just b/c they are critical of Memphis.

Same goes for football, too. We were REALLY bad for a long time since I have been on here.

It doesn't matter who you have on the team, because the inexperienced coach is the issue.

Bill Belichick was first hired as the Browns coach. Up and coming lots of promise, but everyone including the owner knew he wasn't ready for the job yet. Browns were horrible after that, which the owner wanted to drive away the loyal fans so he could move the team.

Penny was hired and everyone in the world thought it was a huge risk, but the loyal fans loved it. He definitely wasn't ready. Now you can either decide he is a good coach and wait for him to find his Brady, dealing with the mistakes along the way and hope he turns out a champ or fold the hand at the end of this season and move on for a five to six year rebuild.

I agree to an extent, but I don't think his college inexperience is the issue. He won multiple championships in 3 lower levels.

And he sure as hell understands offense and defense. Just listen to his pressers. He's not like Pastner, who talked in silly platitudes about life, and never knew jack about basketball.

And he has proven he can teach some things, b/c we have been mostly great on defense for 2 years now. That's usually really hard to teach.

I think his problem is he hasn't figured out how to get elite recruits to listen to him about offense. He has become so frustrated that he's starting to let it slip out that he recognizes we aren't doing the fundamentals, even though they go over them every day in practice. He has essentially called the players selfish, saying padding stats is more important to them than winning.

He can't get through to them. Mike Miller couldn't, either. Neither can Madlock or Toppert. That's a lot of basketball knowledge right there.

He is so frustrated that for 2021, he totally changed his recruiting philosophy. He stopped chasing the five stars, and signed a group of versatile lower ranked 4 stars.

Penny has danced around the likely solution (if there is one), but so far hasn't really done it. The only way to make young people listen to you is to take away something of great value to them. Playing time.

Penny says he will do it, then never does. We aren't doing the basic things. I would sit those guys on the bench until they started doing what they should, as far as raising hands on D, passing the damn ball, boxing out, etc. Even if we lose every damn game.

The other problem we have is that our best players can't shoot. Our biggest offenders are DJ, Nolley, Boogie and Quinones. All have sticky fingers, and try to win games alone. When they're hot, it helps, but they're not consistent enough.

Penny can fix the first one, if he figures out how. Not sure anything but Williams and maybe Stewart can help with the other.

Yep, he knows basketball and your comparison to Pastner is hilarious but so on point.

We try to play an NBA offense with no PG, limited bigs, and players who can’t shoot and aren’t great at driving to the basket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-14-2020 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
***General AAC Basketball Game discussion*** - tnzazz - 12-14-2020 06:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.