UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

**Covid-19 Discussion Thread** - unmoderated - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
RE: **Covid-19 Discussion Thread** - unmoderated - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
(11-26-2020 11:46 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  The Pope had an op-ed in the N.Y. Times today. An excerpt which touches on this debate by someone with a significant interest in religious freedom.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1332056330366971904

This is actually an excerpt from a book the Pope is releasing in the near future. The book was in reality ghost written by one of his people. I for one put exactly zero stock in anything the Pope says. Especially this one, who seems to be more concerned with using his pulpit to denigrate capitalism at every turn. I always find it hysterical whenever people on the left latch onto something the Pope might say, with which they agree, when they've spent every breath up to that point trashing the church and/or religion in general. I'm not saying you are doing that- I can't say you've ever said anything like that around here. That's just a general observation about the left, and the media in particular.

What the Court has done is issue an injunction against the governor of New York barring him from implementing the types of capacity restrictions he has on paces of worship. The very thing I have been talking about. The case is Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn v. Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor of New York. .
The opinion is here if you want to read: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20...7_4g15.pdf

I am infinitely more impressed with what Justice Gorsuch said than I am anything the Pope might have. He lead with this line: "Government is not free to disregard the First Amendment in times of crisis." Exactly the point I've been trying to make.

But here's the hammer:
Quote:.. the Governor has chosen to impose no capacity restrictions on certain businesses he considers “essential.” And it turns out the businesses the Governor considers essential include hardware stores, acupuncturists, and liquor stores. Bicycle repair shops, certain signage companies, accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents are all essential too. So, at least according to the Governor, it may be unsafe to go to church, but it is always fine to pick up another bottle of wine, shop for a new bike, or spend the afternoon exploring your distal points and meridians. Who knew public health would so perfectly align with secular convenience?

I encourage you to read his concurrence, he makes the point I've been attempting, but does a much better job. Which I guess is why he's where he is and I'm where I am.
11-27-2020 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: **Covid-19 Discussion Thread** - unmoderated - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK! - BatesUAB - 11-27-2020 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.