UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

**Covid-19 Discussion Thread** - unmoderated - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
RE: **Covid-19 Discussion Thread** - unmoderated - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
I will also point out that rates of mask usage are higher now than ever, yet we are seeing the spike. I won't pretend to give an explanation, but it is just a fact. See this article:

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/...poll-finds

And I won't defend Trump's rhetoric. I will say this- the administration stopped travel from China on January 31, and a lot of the people skewering Trump now were at the time calling him a bigot, while also encouraging people to go about their business. But my larger issue here is that the vast majority of this country appears to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how our government works. It's ironic- people who like to call Trump a dictator at the same time argue he should do things only a dictator could. The President of the United States cannot mandate wearing a mask. Congress can't even do that. The federal government, under our Constitution (that still exists, by the way) does not have general police powers. It cannot order shutdowns of businesses. All the things people say Trump hasn't been doing- he doesn't have the authority. Our Constitution and laws don't cease to exist just because there is a pandemic, although at times it seems like it. So I would ask you- list for me the things you would have done if you were President. And not just "I wouldn't say stupid sh!t on Twitter," because that's low hanging fruit.

In the end, a lot of this was unavoidable. If a virus like this gets loose in a free society, people will die. This isn't China- you can't post police on the street and arrest whoever comes out of their homes. We can wear masks, physically distance (that's another peeve of mine- the phrase "social distancing"- that doesn't make any sense. We aren't distancing ourselves socially, we're distancing ourselves physically. More stupidity in this whole mess), put up all the plexiglass you want- in the end only a vaccine or herd immunity ends this. And a lot of really freaking smart people have spent this year moving mountains to make that vaccine happen, and to me that is the story here. That is human spirit and ingenuity. And a lot of that is being done because of the Trump administration. Twenty years from now, when the final word is written, there will be a lot of negative things that can be said about him, but some positives, too. And some people can't/won't admit that. Such as the governor of New York, who lamented the vaccine coming out too soon.
11-17-2020 02:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: **Covid-19 Discussion Thread** - unmoderated - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK! - BatesUAB - 11-17-2020 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.