Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
WAC Expansion/FCS - for real (Official Discussion Thread)
Bookmark and Share
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
RE: WAC Expansion/FCS - for real (Official Discussion Thread)
(07-30-2021 06:42 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  . . .

I also think that there will be little movement on the WAC side of things until 2 other things have been resolved. What happens with the Big 12 and what is the impact of NIL. Even in the WAC, there is a wide ability to pay. GCU has a major advantage with a robust and money making online program (something any school could do as well) to help pay the athletes. To become the dominant program in the WAC, throw some of that cash around, and watch the purple win everything. So I think a school like West Texas is waiting to see what is the financial cost, including the NIL, going to be for them to be competitive at DI.
I am not sure where the financial cost for NIL comes into play on this. As I understand it, the NIL allows players to receive pay from non-university sources (businesses) for the use of their name, image and likeness. That is not a cost to the university.

The issue as I see it is that better athletes will want to go to schools that have supporters with deep pockets and a willingness to empty them for "marketing" purposes. To me this is fraught with opportunities for abuse. "Sure, I will give each of your players a contract for $$$ even if their marketing value is negligible. It will also serve to redirect players interest in recruiting to the places with such support and away from those with less support.

It is because of this that I believe NMSU will be disadvantaged further in recruitment and retention of players. .
07-30-2021 12:25 PM
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
RE: WAC Expansion/FCS - for real (Official Discussion Thread) - NotANewbie - 07-30-2021 12:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.