Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Will there be a P5 realignment by 2026? NOTE: You can vote for more than one option.
ACC will gain/lose teams
B1G will gain/lose teams
Big-12 will gain/lose teams
PAC-12 will gain/lose teams
SEC will gain/lose teams
No P5 teams will realign.
[Show Results]

Will there be a P5 realignment by 2026?
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
RE: Will there be a P5 realignment by 2026?
(07-30-2020 08:52 AM)ken d Wrote:  If I were the College Football Czar, these are the changes I would make to the current alignment.

Notre Dame and BYU remain independent in football, but are now joined by Texas, Stanford and Southern Cal. These five all play each other annually.

Notre Dame continues its relationship with the ACC, playing five football games a year. Along with their four indy games above plus Navy, the Irish now have 10 games a year locked in, and two available to schedule as they wish.

USC and Stanford's deal with the PAC is similar to ND's. In addition to their four indy games, each plays the two California PAC schools (Cal and UCLA) every year, plus four of the eight remaining PAC members. That gives them each 10 games as well. The ten PAC teams play a nine game round robin in football, plus either USC or Stanford for their ten power games.

Texas plays Arkansas and Texas A&M from the SEC annually, plus Oklahoma and Texas Tech from the Big XII. In addition, they play three other Big XII teams each year on a rotating basis in exchange for leaving their Olympic sports in that league.

BYU puts their Olympic sports in the Mountain West (bringing them to 12 teams in MBB). They agree to play Boise State, San Diego State and Utah State annually, and two more MWC teams on a rotating basis. They also continue their rivalry game with Utah from the PAC.

The NCAA eliminates all rules regulating Conference Championship games and division structures.

The CFP expands to 8 teams, including the 7 highest ranked conference champions plus the highest ranked of the now 10 independents. Every school has a path to the CFP, and my work here is done.

Love it!

Regarding the 8-team CFP, I would much rather see at large wild cards than SEVEN conference champions and the highest-ranked independent. Use the 5 + 1 + 2 model. The highest ranked independent would have access via a wild card berth...if they deserve it.

Also, I don't see the MWC accepting BYU's Olympic sports. BYU already plays Boise State and Utah State annually, plus another 2 or 3 MWC teams most years. And, I'm not sure USC and Stanford hold enough cards to keep their Olympic sports in the PAC.

So, add USC and Stanford to the WCC. The WCC already stacks the schedules to benefit the better teams. USC and Stanford get annual home+road basketball games against each other, Gonzaga, and BYU. Easy wins and short road trips for most of the rest of the WCC schedule. The WCC becomes a 3-4 bid league, with USC and Stanford earning an NCAA bid more often than not.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 11:02 AM by YNot.)
07-30-2020 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will there be a P5 realignment by 2026? - YNot - 07-30-2020 11:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.