OT: Under Armour trying to terminate agreement with ucla
Bookmark and Share
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: OT: Under Armour trying to terminate agreement with ucla
(06-30-2020 08:10 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(06-30-2020 07:20 AM)Banter Wrote:  
(06-30-2020 07:17 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Those of you hoping for UA to sever their deal with UC are going to be disappointed. Our 10-year $47M deal pales in comparison to the $28OM they signed with UCLA and they are likely got us on the cheap back in 2015. They are making money off of UC.

I would worry that Addidas or Nike would try to lowball us if the UA deal was terminated. We would have no leverage at that point and I don't think those companies would ever treat us as anything but an afterthought.

I think you're right. UA gave us a heck of a deal and I'm guessing it could be the best in the G5 and superior to a number of schools in the P5.

It did seem to me that UA was very late shipping UC merchandise to retailers last summer for the 2019 football season which made me wonder if they were facing some financial setbacks. If we see that again in 2020 it could be cause for concern regarding the company's longer term viability. But I believe UC's core fanbase, while not as large as many P5 schools, buys a lot of merchandise. And other Cincinnatians seem to be wearing the Red and Black in greater numbers than ever before.

I claim no expertise on sports clothing but an $80.00 UC polo shirt--even after royalties are paid to the University, has a very high profit margin, when similar generic "dry tech" polos can be purchased for $20.00. That is, in large part, how these deals get funded that benefit the universities.

Temple fan here. Temple signed a 10 year- $30M deal with UA I believe around the same time UC signed their UA deal. Temple and UA severed ties this past spring and Temple is moving to Nike. From what I was told, UA came to Temple and basically said they couldn't fulfill all that was promised in the contract. Instead of litigating Temple decided to mutually void the contract. I do think Cincy is a much better return for UA than Temple but I'd be cautious if I were the Cincy administration.

I personally liked UA for football stuff but the basketball equipment including shoes I think hurt our bball program when going up against Nike schools. Rumors are floating around that Temple is in discussions to make the bball program a Jordan brand program in the next couple of years.

06-30-2020 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OT: Under Armour trying to terminate agreement with ucla - templefan1 - 06-30-2020 08:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.